A&H

Unusual Incident (From O/A County Cup Final Report)

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Proceedings started with an unusual event. A yellow card was shown as the teams were lined up, prior to entering the pitch. This caution was issued by referee, XXXXX, to greens goalkeeper, following an altercation regarding the latter’s attire.

I've been out with this referee (Level 4) - very good - and one of the assistants. If/when I bump into one of them again, I'll ask them about it.

The odd thing is, in photographs of the match, said GK, seems to be dressed in black undershorts with yellow kit and seems to have what look like black sweatbands around yellow socks?

If cautioned, for dissent I guess?, why wasn't he made to correct "attire"?

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
Proceedings started with an unusual event. A yellow card was shown as the teams were lined up, prior to entering the pitch. This caution was issued by referee, XXXXX, to greens goalkeeper, following an altercation regarding the latter’s attire.

I've been out with this referee (Level 4) - very good - and one of the assistants. If/when I bump into one of them again, I'll ask them about it.

The odd thing is, in photographs of the match, said GK, seems to be dressed in black undershorts with yellow kit and seems to have what look like black sweatbands around yellow socks?

If cautioned, for dissent I guess?, why wasn't he made to correct "attire"?

Thoughts?

Was he made to remove any of it? Surely its a case of remove it, or you don't play as per any referee check we do?

It's a bit stupid the keeper having to obey the 'sock tape' law, really - I wonder if that's where we can apply 'spirit of the game'?
Given the idea of 'not putting other things over your socks' is to make it easier to tell who kicked it out (a laughable concept when at grassroots we're lucky if all players are wearing the same socks anyway!!)

seems a bit odd, should have been picked up before the players entered the pitch. then you tell him to change the illegal kit

Am I reading this right, the gk was cautioned you think for, lets say, an undergarment/kit issue, yet was allowed to play the game after the caution without alteration to his equipment?

I'm only quoting from the report and then commenting on the pictures I've seen.

I don't know exactly what he was cautioned for and why he was allowed to continue with what appears to be different coloured under shorts and some black "tape" around his ankles

Why on earth would an assistant referee not be aware at some point, either during the issuing of the sanction, or at half time, or indeed at full time, what a player has been cautioned for ?!
As assistant where you present at the line up, if so, surely you know then whats going on?
Do you not talk at half time? "so quick notebook check, green 4 reckless 22 mins, green 10 dissent 44 mins and green gk........??????"
All that aside, even at the end, post shower, and about to leave the changing room, why not say "I was a bit confused as to what happened with the green gk at the start?"
If you cant communicate with the other match officials, who are "on your team", what chance do you have of communicating to the 2 sets of players!!

Why on earth would an assistant referee not be aware at some point, either during the issuing of the sanction, or at half time, or indeed at full time, what a player has been cautioned for ?!
As assistant where you present at the line up, if so, surely you know then whats going on?
Do you not talk at half time? "so quick notebook check, green 4 reckless 22 mins, green 10 dissent 44 mins and green gk........??????"
All that aside, even at the end, post shower, and about to leave the changing room, why not say "I was a bit confused as to what happened with the green gk at the start?"
If you cant communicate with the other match officials, who are "on your team", what chance do you have of communicating to the 2 sets of players!!

Ciley, think you need to brush up on your own observation skills before launching an attack on me. If you read my op, you can see its perfectly clear I wasn't at the match, hence me asking the question/requesting thoughts of others.

@PinnerPaul is refering to a report he has read, he wasn't on the line. Read the OP properly before having a go.

No attack on you intended and even after reading the OP again I might be 1% but I can read it as you were the "other" assistant.

@PinnerPaul is refering to a report he has read, he wasn't on the line. Read the OP properly before having a go.

Def not having a go, even if am the only person in the whole world who reads it as such, I have misunderstood the OP and pictured the first poster as being the other assistant. I have wrongly taken the very first lines to be a narrative of an occasion the OP was party too. I now understand it to be a quote from a match report.

:wall::wall::wall:

If that's not you 'having a go' then I reckon it's actually your communication skills that need a makeover .......

@Ciley Myrus calm yourself down sunshine ... we only have enough time and humour for one pedantic little bugger and that is the beloved member @Padfoot - sorry, role field - find another in the group!

even IF @PinnerPaul was the other assistant, he is asking an opinion of us all and in no way deserved that kind of condescending, patronising response ...

I believe, if im not mistaken, the term you are looking for is 'sorry @PinnerPaul, I read that wrong! .... (and then continue with a more friendly response to the OP)'

back to the OP ... its a weird one for sure - hopefully you bump into the ref sooner rather than later!

could we be reading too much into outfit choice of the GK, and maybe dissent?

@Ciley Myrus calm yourself down sunshine ... we only have enough time and humour for one pedantic little bugger and that is the beloved member @Padfoot - sorry, role field - find another in the group!

even IF @PinnerPaul was the other assistant, he is asking an opinion of us all and in no way deserved that kind of condescending, patronising response ...

I believe, if im not mistaken, the term you are looking for is 'sorry @PinnerPaul, I read that wrong! .... (and then continue with a more friendly response to the OP)'

back to the OP ... its a weird one for sure - hopefully you bump into the ref sooner rather than later!

could we be reading too much into outfit choice of the GK, and maybe dissent?

Thanks Charlie - I read the report as caution was for dissent, but pictures seem to show him still "improperly dressed" at full time.

Can't really post pics without cropping his head off and that seems a bit silly!

Not sure if I still have emails of ref and assistant that I have worked with previously, if I can find them, I might drop one or the other an email!

i definitely would if you have their details - intruging ... sorry! I meant dissent by word or action - so maybe they all looked passed the 'incorrect attire' and he had said something in the tunnel? maybe like 'have a bloody good game ref!' :eek::eek:

i've seen the picture it doesnt look that bad tbh .... sock tape looks like the issue, but he's not wearing the same socks as the outfield players in any case... in fact the tape makes it look more like what the rest are playing in anyways.... as Charlie says intriguiing

Edit: although neither of us have spelled it correctly.... intriguing

Last edited:
Back