A&H

warm up

jofusref

RefChat Addict
just out of interest what does everyone do for a prematch warm up, how long what excecises, sensible answers would be appreciated lol

The Referee Store
Depends on the game but I generally spend around 10 minutes, taking in a couple of laps jog around the pitch (including net checks), a full range of stretches and some shuttle runs. On my first season I did less to warm up and suffered a series of minor pulls and strains .. so now try to be more thorough

More or less what Russell said. Lap of the pitch when I check flags and have a quick glance at the net. Stretch and then shuttle runs from goal line to edge of penalty area. More stretches. Finish up with some shuttle runs to he half way line at a slightly higher pace - 5 paces forward, switch to 5 side, 5 backward, 5 other side and repeat until about 10 yards from halfway before a quick sprint acceleration. Walk back and repeat a few times.

it always makes me laugh when people just wander on the pitch no warm up, have to run 30 yards in the first minute then wonder why the hammy or the calf goes ping,

I think a warm is important not just because it warms you up but show the teams that you mean business. I follow the same routine with or without assistants and I think it show a professional approach and give the teams a sense of "This guy knows what he is doing" ha ha more fool them!!!!

5 paces forward, switch to 5 side, 5 backward, 5 other side and repeat until about 10 yards from halfway
Isn't this a recipe for not making forward progress at all?! :rolleyes:

it always makes me laugh when people just wander on the pitch no warm up, have to run 30 yards in the first minute then wonder why the hammy or the calf goes ping,
Sadist :). Harsh ..... but fair .....

I can safely say that type or duration of warm up means absolutely zero in terms of competency of a referee.

It might look good, you might think that Dog and Duck Utd are reassured by it while they stagger around in their hungover version of a pre match on a Sunday morning......the truth is that they couldn't care less as long as things go their way.....

However, each to his own and if it makes you more confident and puts in a good place mentally and physically then it's not a bad thing.

Current routine (always subject to change when I steal ideas !!!):
  1. If all is going to plan, head out at 2:30pm.
  2. Lap or two of the pitch at a very gentle jog (may not be laps as such, depends on where the teams are warming up).
  3. Minute or so for simple stretches as required.
  4. Shuttles (each official calls one out).
  5. Sprints (in the sense of the jog slowly, run a bit faster, go 80-90% sort of way)
  6. Do Your Own Thing (typically where assistants can check their lines out and do their own exercises).
  7. Go back in.
Normally wrapped up in 15 minutes or so.

3/4 of the lap of the field followed by shuttles from goal line to edge of penalty area and then jog back to start position. Takes about 10 minutes altogether.

Shuttles are
forwards
backwards
side to side left foot leading
side to side right foot leading
high knees
bum kicks
over the gate (out to in)
over the gate (in to out)
grapevine forwards
walking kicks
hamstring walk

Last Sunday it was 8K on a exercise bike, 15 minutes on cross trainer and 15 minutes of fast/slow alternates on the treadmill plus 2 sets of chest presses... then the phone rang :)

I have added a gentle jog to my routine prior to stretches after advice from my physio who is getting bored of patching me up. Haven't mastered the warm down post match yet so I guess I will keep paying towards my physio's next holiday.

I can safely say that type or duration of warm up means absolutely zero in terms of competency of a referee.

It might look good, you might think that Dog and Duck Utd are reassured by it while they stagger around in their hungover version of a pre match on a Sunday morning......the truth is that they couldn't care less as long as things go their way.....
I see you point, but I disagree I think it does make a psychological difference to some players and coaches.

If you look the part, warming up places that little seed in their mind; this guy takes this seriously.

Unless like me you are panting like a mad man after a gentle lap of the pitch. :)

Actually....... I was involved in a pre season friendly last season with a level 4 and a 5 on the promotion scheme

We done all of the above mentioned and when we returned to the changing room I blurted out a few age related expletives at them both as they were early 20s ......threw my sweat sodden training gear at them and had to go for a pre match shower and a lie down on the treatment bench .....much to their amusement :hmmm:

Back