A&H

What to say?

Colt

Level 7 Referee
So I go out with all the players:
Do the handshake then what do I say when both my Club linesman and skippers are in the center?

I'm stuck on what to say as I got told speak to the Club Assistants first while the captains are their. But what do I say?

Cheers

The Referee Store
Whatever you please.

Personally I say "heads or tails mate? Right stay where you are or swap ends? Excellent your kick it is. Have a good game lads"

I brief my CARs seperately but that's just my personal preference.

I keep the pre match with captains short
Anything said here will be heard and may be used as evidence. You have the right to remain silent. Do it. I personally think saying too much is making a rod for your own back.

For example "any dissent and i won't hesitate to caution" will result in constant questioning about what opposition players have said.

on a couple of my assessments this year both assessors have advised me to brief both CAR's together and with the captains, although i'm not expecting to much from them, i'll very very briefly explain that i dont want them flagging for some one just stood offside, and explain if they can wait as long as possible to raise there flag to wait and see if that person receives the ball. Make a little joke about how frustrating it is to see your own team member running past that person offside only for the flag to go up. Trust me this lasts no more than 30 seconds to explain, but i make sure the captains hear this so when they are delaying there flag they aren't getting abused by there own team, as the captains have heard my instructions.
It's not 100% fool proof, but i do genuinely see better decisions and less dissent from teams over offsides, of course you still get the odd one or two who will stick the flag up regardless.
I always say to both CAR's "if anyone gives you any shi*, just let me know" (makes them feel like they have my backing all the way)

Try it, if it doesn't work, try something else.
with regards to capt's i don't go in to much, explain i try and let the game flow with advantage, so please give me a few seconds before shouting at me. We all know teams have that one person who will go over the top with the abuse, please speak with them before i do.
Thanks lads, have a good game.

You'll find something that works for most teams, but sometimes what ever you say, it'll be like you've just spoken Japanese to them as they'll ignore every word.

My club marks are through the roof this season, so something is obviously working.

Agree broadly with svenny, although I add to the CARs that if I miss them, to keep the flag in the air unless the ball is cleared over half-way (and then feel free to tell me afterwards and I'll apologise).

I tend not to say too much to the captains...but I probably should. I'm normally itching to get started myself by that point!

+1 for the above - always try to talk to CARs with the captains at the coin toss

Get their names too - and then use them during the game ... a shout over to them at the start (when also shouting at the GKs) as well as during the game to thank them for their flag work is good for them (which in turn is good for you!)

as Alex says, use there names as much as you can, and lots of acknowledgement as well.
Especially if being assessed.

Would be a good habit to get into as and when you ever have NAR's (i've never had them)

What do assessors like to see you do??(promotion this season)

In relation to car's??

As above really mate, not sure if it varies across the country with car's.
But lots of eye contact. Thumbs up. use there names. Good team work.

I don't think it's a massive on marks (I'm sure someone will.correct me if I'm worng) but no point dropping silly marks.

Call the Lino's on with captains and just be seen to have a brief chat as you do the toss with captains after a minute or so briefing Lino's

Cheers gents,
Didn't know if it affected my marks or not but want to get it decent nonetheless :)

Back