A&H

When to allow a quick free kick

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Last night, Yellow v Blue. Blue player was fouled about 35 yards away from goal, his team mate grabs the ball and plays a quick free kick out to the left winger. I blow the whistle and pull it back due to a moving ball. The ball is returned to the kick taker who places the ball on the ground and immediately plays the ball out to the same winger. I pulled it back again, this time because of the multiple restarts and throwing confusion to players around them.

I imagine some of you may have allowed this but I was just wondering where that line is crossed? Is it purely down to the preference of the attacker?

The Referee Store
As long as the ball is stationary and in the correct position I will allow a quick free kick, as long as the players take it quickly.

If I blow up and they mill around for a bit then it's on the whistle.

Doesnt happen often in my games 9/10 they'd rather have the kick to give their team time to get in position.

I think in your example you've handled it correctly.

Right I would of allowed second but only time I would not allow a free kick is anything between 18 yard line and 22 yard anything above that is quick free kick territory unless they want it on whistle

That's a fairly arbitrary line, surely that's one of the best places for a team to take a quick FK from?

When I first qualified I was told to make anything near the penalty area on the whistle.

I'd be happy to allow a quick free kick from anywhere, as long as it is within the lines I posted previously.

teams never seem to want to though, no idea why. Maybe they all have visions of bending it into the top corner like Ronaldo, but the normally put it 10 feet over the bar and I end up asking the coach for a replacement ball

I tend to do all DFKs near the area on the whistle. It does annoy me when there is a DFK in the centre circle you move to best posiotion then a menber of the opposition then goes up to the ball. My shout is Do you really want me to go over there and count 10 yards? They normally get the message.

Good ones are when you give the foul, defending team is sorting themselves out and one of the attacking players slowly trots up to the ball from 30 yards away and when they eventually get there shout over "can I have it quick ref?"

Right I would of allowed second but only time I would not allow a free kick is anything between 18 yard line and 22 yard anything above that is quick free kick territory unless they want it on whistle

why not? they are the ones that have been offended against.

I will fetch my pop corn now

Nice and loud 'do you want it now or on the whistle?' This especially when close to the penalty area. Nobody can then argue and usually works well.
I did at start of season allow a 'quick one' after giving a caution to the defender. Goal naturally scored as is the way on such occasions. Could only apologise once I'd had my oh sh1t moment - shortly after having restarted play of course. One of those moments where I'm glad assessors / observers come nowhere near me.

I for one believe if you allow a quick free kick in 22-18 yard you allow yourself to shoot yourself in the foot like I did when another free kick is given and then because you allow a quick one you caution another player

I for one believe if you allow a quick free kick in 22-18 yard you allow yourself to shoot yourself in the foot like I did when another free kick is given and then because you allow a quick one you caution another player
I'm on my second bottle of red.....that may be why my comprehension is suffering, so I hope you don't mind if I just say, "what"?

I guess it depends how it's handled.

If you blow up for the foul and the offended team get on and take the free kick straight away then I don't see why that would be an issue.

However if they've milled around a bit, and waited until the defending team start setting up their wall before they ask to take it quick and you let them then even though you are correct in law that is a situation which could have been avoided.

To deny a team a quick free kick (providing they take it quickly) because you don't want to upset the other team seems a bit harsh.

Its all about match control. Don't do anything to compromise your control. First priority is not whether the attacker wants to go quick, or whether the wall is set, its about you, are you ready, are you happy with where the ball is, is it going to be hit from a stationery position, are you going to deal with a sub/injury/sanction/warning, is there potential for conflict/reaction to the foul you have just given (guy on floor going to take matters into own hand etc). If I give a dfk 25 yards out for a clear obvious handball or clear trip and the attacker goes "can I take it ref", if I am 100% satisfied I have met all the conditions described then I would say "yes but it has to be now"
Any delay its a no, its either going to be a quick free kick there and then, or, its being a ceremonial set up. Be aware as well, sometimes accidently because of the speed of the incident, defenders might be within 10 yards, if the attacker takes it quick and a defender nips in and seizes the chance to tackle well, then, you cant really penalise him as its you who have in effect given the all clear for play to resume.

There is a famous clip of Ryan Giggs scoring the only goal with 10 mins to go away at Lille about 10 years back, the Lille team walked off the park in protest. Up to you if you fancy a similar thing happening in the last minute of a relegation battle down the local park.

I tend to allow them as long as they are literally 'quick'. As GraemeS said, position on the pitch doesn't bother me (unless the position is different to where the foul has taken place). The reason I didn't allow it in my OP was purely because I didn't believe it to be quick and the opportunity had gone when their first attempt wasn't legal.

if they want to take it quick, crack on s long as its quick. nd if the opponent tries to stop it, they will go in the book. I won't reward a team that commits a foul.

if they want to take it quick, crack on s long as its quick. nd if the opponent tries to stop it, they will go in the book. I won't reward a team that commits a foul.

This is always a good debate. Yes players need to be min 10 yards from ball at a freekick. However, if as referee YOU are allowing the play to begin (afterall, the game can only restart when YOU are content all is good) then its utterly ridiculous to then caution an opponent who is not min 10 yards away, when as referee YOU have given the all clear for the fk to be taken. You saying in effect you will caution a player who is not the min distance away based on YOUR actions to allow a quick free kick? Have fun issuing a 2nd yellow to someone who does as you have posted ! The reason the defender is not the min yards away at a quick free kick is down to YOU, not them, you are the one responsible for allowing the quick free kick. When you award the foul itself, that is the penalising of the foul. You are not there as referee to inflict more punishment based on morals. Simply apply the LOTG and things run a bit smoother.

You saying in effect you will caution a player who is not the min distance away based on YOUR actions to allow a quick free kick? Have fun issuing a 2nd yellow to someone who does as you have posted ! The reason the defender is not the min yards away at a quick free kick is down to YOU, not them, you are the one responsible for allowing the quick free kick.

1. that's not what I am saying at all. please reread my post and don't misconstrue it.

2. I am not taking repsonsibility for the actions of players. if defenders are within 10 yards and the attacker decides to take it quick then that is not my fault. if the defender tries to stop being taken and I penalise that with a caution again I am not taking responsibility for his actions

When you award the foul itself, that is the penalising of the foul. You are not there as referee to inflict more punishment based on morals.

1. awarding the foul itself is not punishment. the foul is meant to restore the advantage to the team that has been fouled. otherwise why is persistent infringement a actionable offense.

2. I think restoring the advantage is refereeing according to the law

This is always a good debate. Yes players need to be min 10 yards from ball at a freekick. However, if as referee YOU are allowing the play to begin (afterall, the game can only restart when YOU are content all is good) then its utterly ridiculous to then caution an opponent who is not min 10 yards away, when as referee YOU have given the all clear for the fk to be taken. You saying in effect you will caution a player who is not the min distance away based on YOUR actions to allow a quick free kick? Have fun issuing a 2nd yellow to someone who does as you have posted ! The reason the defender is not the min yards away at a quick free kick is down to YOU, not them, you are the one responsible for allowing the quick free kick. When you award the foul itself, that is the penalising of the foul. You are not there as referee to inflict more punishment based on morals. Simply apply the LOTG and things run a bit smoother.
I think you have mis-understood.
The post said if an opponent tries to stop a quick free kick then they would be cautioned. He isnt cautioning for failure to respect the minimum distance, he is cautioning for delaying the restart which would be correct in his example.

Back