A&H

When to allow a quick free kick

This is always a good debate. Yes players need to be min 10 yards from ball at a freekick. However, if as referee YOU are allowing the play to begin (afterall, the game can only restart when YOU are content all is good) then its utterly ridiculous to then caution an opponent who is not min 10 yards away, when as referee YOU have given the all clear for the fk to be taken. You saying in effect you will caution a player who is not the min distance away based on YOUR actions to allow a quick free kick? Have fun issuing a 2nd yellow to someone who does as you have posted ! The reason the defender is not the min yards away at a quick free kick is down to YOU, not them, you are the one responsible for allowing the quick free kick. When you award the foul itself, that is the penalising of the foul. You are not there as referee to inflict more punishment based on morals. Simply apply the LOTG and things run a bit smoother.

True, but, when a player/team chooses to take a quick free kick then they acknowledge that there may be players who are inside 10yds.

The Referee Store
I think you have mis-understood.
The post said if an opponent tries to stop a quick free kick then they would be cautioned. He isnt cautioning for failure to respect the minimum distance, he is cautioning for delaying the restart which would be correct in his example.
True, but, when a player/team chooses to take a quick free kick then they acknowledge that there may be players who are inside 10yds.

Yes, but ultimately its you as referee who says whether the free kick can happen or not.

Ok the LOTG state that at a free kick, opponents must be min 10 yards away
You are there as referee to uphold the LOTG.
So if you are allowing opponents to be less than 10 yards away, that's your doing.
Who controls the game? The players....or, maybe, erm, the referee......

So if you are allowing opponents to be less than 10 yards away, that's your doing.

If we're going to start quoting LOTG then this bit is fairly conclusive.

However, an opponent who deliberately prevents a free kick being taken quickly must be cautioned for delaying the restart of play.

Are you being deliberately being obtuse.?
if it's more advantageous for them to take it quick but the defenders are less than 10 yards away then why in God's name would you stop them.

In addition the law states that if a player takes a quick free kick and an opponent is less than 10 yards away and they intercept it play continues. So yes the law says that a player must be 10 yards away but it also makes allowances to give the offended team an advantage of taking a quick free kick, but the failure of lies squarely with them.
You're basically saying never allow a free kick when players are within 10 yards which is codswallop.
Try allowing the game to breathe and flow, ao long as within confines of law, it makes the game a better experience for all.

t also makes allowances to give the offended team an advantage of taking a quick free kick, but the failure of lies squarely with them.

with the added bonus that if the failure is due to the defender (within the 10 yards) making a deliberate interception of the kick, its a caution and a retake.
I dont know why we dont see more quick ones tbh...

In addition the law states that if a player takes a quick free kick and an opponent is less than 10 yards away and they intercept it play continues. So yes the law says that a player must be 10 yards away but it also makes allowances to give the offended team an advantage of taking a quick free kick, but the failure of lies squarely with them.
You're basically saying never allow a free kick when players are within 10 yards which is codswallop.
Try allowing the game to breathe and flow, ao long as within confines of law, it makes the game a better experience for all.

If you mean me, am certainly not saying not to allow a free kick when the opponents are less than 10 yards away, I was disputing the previous poster who said he would caution anyone who got in the way of a quick free kick.

with the added bonus that if the failure is due to the defender (within the 10 yards) making a deliberate interception of the kick, its a caution and a retake.
I dont know why we dont see more quick ones tbh...
Its only if they stop the kick being taken that you would caution for delaying the restart. The law says that if the kick is taken quickly and a player inside 10 yards intercepts then play continues.

If you mean me, am certainly not saying not to allow a free kick when the opponents are less than 10 yards away, I was disputing the previous poster who said he would caution anyone who got in the way of a quick free kick.
What the poster said was correct hence my puzzlement at your arguments.

There are 2 scenarios here.
1) quick free kick or indeed just a free kick is prevented from being taken by an opponent. Caution for delaying restart.

2) quick free kick intercepted by opponent within 10 yards, play continues.

@pankaye did not say he would caution anyone inside 10 yards he said he would caution anyone deliberately preventing the kick being taken and I find this statement to be correct.

Its all about match control. Don't do anything to compromise your control. First priority is not whether the attacker wants to go quick, or whether the wall is set, its about you, are you ready,
Utter nonsense ... in my opinion. The idea that your (perceived) match control is more important than the rights of the team who have been offended against is an unhelpfully egocentric stance to take.

Simply apply the LOTG and things run a bit smoother
Now you're talking! And quick free kicks are 100% permissible in law ....

Outside of the necessity to stop the game (eg to caution a player or allow a substitution), The ONLY scenario where I'm considering 'preventing' a quick FK is when it is near the opposition penalty area AND I have arrived at the location of the foul. In this scenarion, my presence there strongly suggests to all concerned that the FK will be 'ceremonial' and therefore taking charge of the situation and making clear that it is 'on the whistle' is expected by everyone

Really surprised by some of the comments here. Look after number one! Free kicks around the penalty area are ceremonial at all times. Don't ask for trouble.

The more interesting aspect of the original post for me was the question of whether, once you've halted play for any reason, it necessarily must resume only on the whistle. I agree that, for the sake of clarity to everyone on the pitch, stopping play again was probably the sensible option, but is there anything in law that prevented you from letting play continue at the second attempt?

The more interesting aspect of the original post for me was the question of whether, once you've halted play for any reason, it necessarily must resume only on the whistle. I agree that, for the sake of clarity to everyone on the pitch, stopping play again was probably the sensible option, but is there anything in law that prevented you from letting play continue at the second attempt?

If the ball was 35 yards out like he said and it wasn't starting an extremely promising attack when the opposition weren't ready, dont be seen to be busy and let play go on

Really surprised by some of the comments here. Look after number one! Free kicks around the penalty area are ceremonial at all times. Don't ask for trouble.

If they go quick (and I mean immediately) then let them. If there's any delay at all, particularly if I've had time to get there, then I'm going ceremonial.

Before every game I have a (very brief) word to each team. I tell them: "if you get a free kick and want to take it quickly, it's your right, don't even ask: just take it. If there is any reason not too, like a caution or substitution, I will tell you. Remember the opposition have the same right too, any attempt to prevent a quick free kick can earn a caution."

I have never had any match problem with this. Once, a team got a free kick and the attacker put the ball down and smashed it straight at the goal, scored easily. There was a stunned silence, then one of the defenders said "he warned us about this....wake up"

Of course I referee adult ladies, who tend to be more reasonable than men, but the principal should stand. When a niggly little foul happens just outside penalty area, unlike in the professional game, this is far less a goal scoring opportunity at grassroots. So by denying the chance of a quick free kick, you allow all the defenders to get back and actually reward the fouling team.

And of course, if by taking the QFK the attacking team play it straight to a defender inside 9.15m, their bad, we play on. If that defender, however, is charging towards the ball, yellow card and retake. Simples.

If the ball was 35 yards out like he said and it wasn't starting an extremely promising attack when the opposition weren't ready, don't be seen to be busy and let play go on
Just to throw in here... as an add to the earlier points...

With better players, who like to try the dark arts in the box - holding etc. - there is a zone about 30-35m out where I often want a FK on the whistle so that I can get into position and watch for offences. This is also the same for FKs out wide by the touchline in the last third. If the taker is obviously going to tap a short one that's fine and I won't interfere. But 99 times out of 100 the taker is standing back ready for a run up. The last thing I want is the ball launched into the box when I am 20m away from where I want to be.

Back