A&H

Where do I start?

KB

I'll take a tough game over an easy game any day!!
Level 4 Referee
Really only noticed this section a few days ago so here we go. Been on the site for a little while now

Im a level 8 ref and well into my second season. Had a really great first season (few problems) and have some great experience behind me for being a L8. First of all, Im not a pocket money ref, my aim is to be at the top one day. Why did i start refereeing? Still to this day I dont know but I love it. When I was about ten, I tried to play football and couldnt.So one of my friends went you be the referee, so I did and loved it. Looked into it and emailed my RDO and he said you have to be 14. Waited for four years and took the course!! It completely changed my life. Everyone took the mick out of me at school when I first passed, now they all want to be my mate (must be the money thought lol!) Im not going to lie, im not the skinniest of people but since I started refereeing Ive lost 5 Stone!! Fitness loads better now, go running daily if no game.

Refereeing has changed my life completely, my fitness and also my personalty. Im so much more confident now thanks to refereeing, I wouldnt say Im big headed and I hold my hands up if Im wrong or make a mistake. But, Im my worst critic. After game for example my game today the game is 2-2 and in the last minute the home team recon they have a penalty appeal. Im in what I think a good position but theres about 14 players all around the ball, the ball is pinging off each other and I see someone hit the deck (not sure how) ... screams for a pen, i didnt see anything, not 100% sure so wave it away ... still Im thinking, could I have been in a better position, what could I have done better!!

I refereed 93 games last season and have already completed 65 this season. Was lucky to have some cup finals last season (6 in total, 2 middle, 2 line and 2 4th man). I am not a pocket money ref. Ive honestly walked away from games before and forgotten my fee. There was a local club near mine very close to folding because of lack of funds. I would help where I could and do games for free.

Anyway looking to advance in my career and some of you will think Im sad for getting new gear eg HRM and other things for christmas instead of an xbox!! Always on here looking to give and receive info/knowledge etc... Im sure I will 'debate' things with most of you in the future!!

Last edited:
The Referee Store
158 games in one and a half seasons :eek:

great story, though. good luck with your plans for the future, Karl

Reactions: KB
Welcome. seems like you have ambition - get back to us when you've become a 7, and when done your first season in OA. If you can still knock out 93 games a season when life starts, I'll match your annual matche fee for the season.

Ambition is good, but remember 4 key words "Work hard, stay humble"

P.S I don't offer life advice sessions :p

Karl, wish you all the best it's great to see the younger generation with enthusiasm and passion, just wish I had taken up Refereeing sooner did coaching instead for 7 years so been on the other side as they say. Good Luck.

My advice would be be honest, open and be fair., and most of all communicate with people talking really does work.

Cheers @Chris Crowe mate great advice I will. Yeah, over the moon I started when I did

Great intro, great enthusiasm - just wish some of the players were as stoked to be playing as you are reffing.

Im assuming, by my math that you're now 16 (?) which yes - is a great age to have done what you already have (I started when I was 30 - but still manage 3 games a week). OA is a whole different ball game (not literally) but your age will either work for you (because I cant see anyone ever putting hands on you!) but could work against... As it'll be like getting told off by your younger brother.

But as with everything you've probably noticed, game experience is king!

Glad im not the only tech head. I think my second post was "Where do I get Electronic AR Flags?"

...Which was subsequently shot down with "Are you mad!?"

Looking back - I never notice how, but my flags always come back filthy. I never see them drop them (or use them to dig trenches) but they come back caked in dirt - so im glad I held off on the buzzer flags for now.

Great intro, great enthusiasm - just wish some of the players were as stoked to be playing as you are reffing.

Im assuming, by my math that you're now 16 (?) which yes - is a great age to have done what you already have (I started when I was 30 - but still manage 3 games a week). OA is a whole different ball game (not literally) but your age will either work for you (because I cant see anyone ever putting hands on you!) but could work against... As it'll be like getting told off by your younger brother.

But as with everything you've probably noticed, game experience is king!

Glad im not the only tech head. I think my second post was "Where do I get Electronic AR Flags?"

...Which was subsequently shot down with "Are you mad!?"

Looking back - I never notice how, but my flags always come back filthy. I never see them drop them (or use them to dig trenches) but they come back caked in dirt - so im glad I held off on the buzzer flags for now.

Cheers Sil, nah Im only 15 at the minute, soon to be 16 though and carnt wait to get in and do some adult footy!! Yeah I'm a bit over the top RE kit. Dont have buzzers, have used them before in a game where I was told there was 'going to be hell on' and great piece of kit for games such as that one.

Dont have buzzers, have used them before in a game where I was told there was 'going to be hell on' and great piece of kit for games such as that one.

I can still see the attraction for a NAR to use them - but as a centre circle ref, yes, kind of good. But I think one chap said that it would come over time, and that I wouldnt need buzzers... and yes, Ill eat my words. I notice the flag going up straight away now and rarely miss it.

As soon as the ball is played and your body says to you "Oooo... that looks thin" and you instinctively look over.

I do love a bit of kit though. I think I even listed my kit at one point, but even before id blown my first whistle I think my kit bag was a good £250-300 worth.

"If you're going to do something... Do it properly or dont bother!" :D

Its great to see such a young ref be so enthusiastic! I do agree though - OA is completely different. Believe in yourself because teams will genuinely try to rip you to shreds. Its my first season of OA and I love it - its a lot more enjoyable in all honesty. Good luck to you Karl - go for the FIFA list and always look to improve and Im sure we'll see you there one day:D

Thanks Harry, that's the aim mate!! Great advice cheers!!

Really only noticed this section a few days ago so here we go. Been on the site for a little while now

Im a level 8 ref and well into my second season. Had a really great first season (few problems) and have some great experience behind me for being a L8. First of all, Im not a pocket money ref, my aim is to be at the top one day. Why did i start refereeing? Still to this day I dont know but I love it. When I was about ten, I tried to play football and couldnt.So one of my friends went you be the referee, so I did and loved it. Looked into it and emailed my RDO and he said you have to be 14. Waited for four years and took the course!! It completely changed my life. Everyone took the mick out of me at school when I first passed, now they all want to be my mate (must be the money thought lol!) Im not going to lie, im not the skinniest of people but since I started refereeing Ive lost 5 Stone!! Fitness loads better now, go running daily if no game.

Refereeing has changed my life completely, my fitness and also my personalty. Im so much more confident now thanks to refereeing, I wouldnt say Im big headed and I hold my hands up if Im wrong or make a mistake. But, Im my worst critic. After game for example my game today the game is 2-2 and in the last minute the home team recon they have a penalty appeal. Im in what I think a good position but theres about 14 players all around the ball, the ball is pinging off each other and I see someone hit the deck (not sure how) ... screams for a pen, i didnt see anything, not 100% sure so wave it away ... still Im thinking, could I have been in a better position, what could I have done better!!

I refereed 93 games last season and have already completed 65 this season. Was lucky to have some cup finals last season (6 in total, 2 middle, 2 line and 2 4th man). I am not a pocket money ref. Ive honestly walked away from games before and forgotten my fee. There was a local club near mine very close to folding because of lack of funds. I would help where I could and do games for free.

Anyway looking to advance in my career and some of you will think Im sad for getting new gear eg HRM and other things for christmas instead of an xbox!! Always on here looking to give and receive info/knowledge etc... Im sure I will 'debate' things with most of you in the future!!

I can see a future FIFA referee. Work hard mate! It is not easy. Good luck

Back