A&H

Why I Can't Be Bothered with NEURA (North East Ulster RA)

CO. DOWN REF

Level 7 Referee
"Dear NEURA Member,

At a committee meeting held on Sunday 27 September 2015 two proposals were brought, seconded and therefore passed to be brought before the membership. The first proposal was one of no confidence in Chairman, George Warnock. This was carried by seven votes to three. The second proposal involved a change to the constitution in regard to voting rights. The proposal brought was in regard to a minimum requirement for attendance of NEURA monthly meetings. This proposal was seconded and following another vote by committee members, the minimum requirement of attendance at meetings set at four. The vote on this occasion was carried by five to two, with two abstentions.
While both proposals have been sanctioned at committee level they still require acceptance from the body of the association. In that regard at the next monthly meeting on 12 October 2015 a vote will be held among those in attendance in regard to both actions. This vote will take place after the regular presentation from IFA instructors."

In other words us senior referees don't like a junior referee as chair and now we're finally going to get rid and go back to the 'good old days.' Only 18 months wasted. Well done.

The Referee Store
Traditionally, NEURA always elected a senior / FIFA official as chairman. In 2014 the incumbent of 12 years stepped down and the membership elected a junior referee (by referee level not age!). This was a surprise. The person elected is a popular figure in grassroots football although I don't know him at all personally.
The senior and intermediate referees hold sway on the committee however and have blocked all he has attempted to do. For example, when the national RA disassociated itself from NI, the other regional RAs we are told used the rebate to kit out members with smart badged track suits etc. NEURA put the money in the bank as the chair was outvoted.
The meetings have little relevance to junior referees so many don't attend - hence the voting clause above. There is also a hierarchy at meetings - the senior refs in their bit , the intermediates in their bit and the junior refs bucked in a corner. The senior referees have no interest whatsoever in the junior refs. I think we're meant to fawn and kiss their derrières. Not my strong point in life.
We have to be a member of a divisional association to referee (insurance etc.)
There is now talk of a breakaway association. Here's hoping!

Traditionally, NEURA always elected a senior / FIFA official as chairman. In 2014 the incumbent of 12 years stepped down and the membership elected a junior referee (by referee level not age!). This was a surprise. The person elected is a popular figure in grassroots football although I don't know him at all personally.
The senior and intermediate referees hold sway on the committee however and have blocked all he has attempted to do. For example, when the national RA disassociated itself from NI, the other regional RAs we are told used the rebate to kit out members with smart badged track suits etc. NEURA put the money in the bank as the chair was outvoted.
The meetings have little relevance to junior referees so many don't attend - hence the voting clause above. There is also a hierarchy at meetings - the senior refs in their bit , the intermediates in their bit and the junior refs bucked in a corner. The senior referees have no interest whatsoever in the junior refs. I think we're meant to fawn and kiss their derrières. Not my strong point in life.
We have to be a member of a divisional association to referee (insurance etc.)
There is now talk of a breakaway association. Here's hoping!
I love my wee country. Always some sort of disagreement going on.

Sod 'em, form your own. If you ever want a guest speaker, then if I can get a flight I'll nip home for a night. Where is NE Ulster? is that Co. Antrim and Co. Down? I was born in Co. Antrim. Says on my passport Co. Down because I looked at the wrong hospital lol

I love my wee country. Always some sort of disagreement going on.

Sod 'em, form your own. If you ever want a guest speaker, then if I can get a flight I'll nip home for a night. Where is NE Ulster? is that Co. Antrim and Co. Down? I was born in Co. Antrim. Says on my passport Co. Down because I looked at the wrong hospital lol

Yeah, NE Ulster is Antrim and Down. Such a blending of places in counties that it's an easy mistake to make!
Will be an interesting event and hopefully people will have the courage to maybe start afresh!!

Backscratching, religion and nepotism. Welcome to the North of Ireland.

Back