A&H

Wrong Penalty Shout

First game today, blew for a penalty, but then realised he clearly won the ball and wanted to change my mind. I ended up giving opposition an IDFK, what should I have done?

The Referee Store
May of sounded a bit harsh what I said if you get what I mean. We all make mistakes, it means we are human mate. Just don't get stressed over it and go and nail that next game. Whether you have refereed 200 games or 2 games you will learn something from every game, even the PGMOL team do!

Any other issues that people could help / advise you on? Get as much help as possible is my advice.

First game today, blew for a penalty, but then realised he clearly won the ball and wanted to change my mind. I ended up giving opposition an IDFK, what should I have done?
Drop ball would be the correct answer in law...but contested drop balls in the penalty area are a referee's worst nightmare. If you were trying to hide the fact you had been intending to give a penalty but changing your mind, you may have "seen" a push/pull by the attacker and seen fit to give a DFK as a result of that. Or if the ball runs out of play as a result of the fair tackle, go with whatever you would have given for that.

One of the things you'll learn over time is the momentary pause before blowing your whistle. Most of the time it'll be because you're looking to give an advantage, but once in a while, you'll change your mind in that split second and stop yourself blowing the whistle in time. It's a good habit to get into early as it will really help develop your use of advantage.

Last edited:
I'm sure we've all done this one, I personally prefer the honest approach, admit you f#=ked up, dropped ball....simples

Back