A&H

YAYA Tackle

MKAhmad

Level 6 Referee
Debates being had already about that Yaya Toure Tackle on Can, want to say red but lets hear everyone's view.

The Referee Store
The Golden Boy didn't give a red so it must be the correct decision
Lol and now he gets the pen decision wrong.
I'll also expect City to get a charge after 6 players crowded the ref. Let's be consistent now

Last edited:
Interesting decision for the penalty, not a stonewaller but you can make a case for great defending or from another angle clumsy defending!!
Who would be a bloody ref!!

For me, red at match speed, orange after replay. And penalty at match speed, a few doubts after replay (still think decision is correct).

Michael Oliver messes up in a big game, what a surprise.

He got so much wrong today it's laughable. Far from convinced on the Liverpool pen answer think City should've had one first half. In real time my reaction to the Yaya challenge was "oh s***", not quite so conclusive in the replays.

This isn't with blue tinted specs either. Mystified how he didn't book Fernandinho for taking a swipe at a Liverpool attacker as they broke and equally as to how he didn't book Willy for dissent after the late challenge on Aguero; ran 40 yards towards Oliver waving an imaginary card. Strange how he only takes a tough stance on dissent sometimes rather than all the time.

Some of you should remember perhaps that this is a refereeing forum rather than a supporters one. There are other more suitable places to vent and let off steam.

I'm completely neutral and I thought he had a good game, and that is in a game that was extremely challenging. Yes, it should have been a penalty for the foul by Milner on Sterling but that was impossible to tell real time, both for the referee and assistant as the clip was so miniscule. The Yaya challenge I would support either yellow or red. The actual penalty that he did give was nailed on, yes Cliche got the ball, but he went right though the player to get it.

Well summed up Wusty... None of us are at Michaels level and we can all look at something differently and after a few views from different angles. He's there in the firing line reacting to what he sees!! Tough job especially at that level!!

Well summed up Wusty... None of us are at Michaels level and we can all look at something differently and after a few views from different angles. He's there in the firing line reacting to what he sees!! Tough job especially at that level!!

Tough job even for an easy game at that level, when you get games like that it becomes an even tougher job.

Even the pundits accepted he did well in a difficult game, so disappointing for me that fellow referees who should know better feel it appropriate to criticise.

Comments like "Michael Oliver messes up in a big game, what a surprise" are ridiculous. Michael Oliver is one of the top referees in the country, and arguably will be England's top referee once Clattenburg leaves at the end of the season. Also with Clatts and Atkinson leaving FIFA at the end of the season then either Oliver or Taylor will be elevated to FIFA Elite status, you don't get to that level unless you are a top, top class referee.

Michael Oliver is one of the top referees in the country, and arguably will be England's top referee once /QUOTE]

Yeah but he really isn't is he? Probably the biggest bottler in the top flight.
Just because the top brass have decided he is the next top ref, doesn't make him the next top ref......
Their treatment of Clattenberg (best ref for nearly ten years) shows they don't actually want the best refs, just the right faces

If I thought MO was in his position on merit I'd be less critical

Michael Oliver messes up in a big game, what a surprise.

He got so much wrong today it's laughable. Far from convinced on the Liverpool pen answer think City should've had one first half. In real time my reaction to the Yaya challenge was "oh s***", not quite so conclusive in the replays.

This isn't with blue tinted specs either. Mystified how he didn't book Fernandinho for taking a swipe at a Liverpool attacker as they broke and equally as to how he didn't book Willy for dissent after the late challenge on Aguero; ran 40 yards towards Oliver waving an imaginary card. Strange how he only takes a tough stance on dissent sometimes rather than all the time.
Milner on Sterling is impossible to see in real time though - if he gave that, it would have been a complete guess!

I think you're right on the missing yellows for SPA though, there were two incidents where I was expecting him to go back for a booking and he just didn't. And yes, disappointing lack of authority when it comes to dissent too. I know he's not the only one who's given up on the "hard line" that the PL referees were trying to do at the start of the season, but as well as the incident you reference, City's reaction to the penalty was a disgrace - when it continued after the penalty had been scored, he should have been handing out yellows as fast as he could write the numbers down.

Milner on Sterling is impossible to see in real time though - if he gave that, it would have been a complete guess!

I think you're right on the missing yellows for SPA though, there were two incidents where I was expecting him to go back for a booking and he just didn't. And yes, disappointing lack of authority when it comes to dissent too. I know he's not the only one who's given up on the "hard line" that the PL referees were trying to do at the start of the season, but as well as the incident you reference, City's reaction to the penalty was a disgrace - when it continued after the penalty had been scored, he should have been handing out yellows as fast as he could write the numbers down.

Totally agree with you, that reaction (even when you feel hard done by) isn't acceptable and he's made himself look weak by not dealing with it.

Forget the fact that I'm a City fan, the lack of action on dissent by all referees, not just Oliver, makes me so angry.

I wondered why he even got in that position. Why even stand there arguing when there's a game to restart? Anyway, what would the yellows be for? It was hardly Rooneyesque dissent.

As for "miniscule clip", "impossible to see in real time", that must be a wind-up designed to provoke a reaction. OK, you've got it - from a refereeing point of view, why doesn't Sterling get penalties?

I wondered why he even got in that position. Why even stand there arguing when there's a game to restart? Anyway, what would the yellows be for? It was hardly Rooneyesque dissent.

As for "miniscule clip", "impossible to see in real time", that must be a wind-up designed to provoke a reaction. OK, you've got it - from a refereeing point of view, why doesn't Sterling get penalties?

As much as agreeing with Bloovee pains me, the Sterling pen shout looked a pen in real time and every replay I've seen since.

OK, you've got it - from a refereeing point of view, why doesn't Sterling get penalties?
because he is a diving wee cheater! :hmmm:

As for MO yesterday, I thought his performance was poor, he missed lots of incidents, allowed Ferandhino and Silva to stay on the pitch when both should have had two yellows (second ones for stopping promising attacks), Yaya should have walked, wet dry or otherwise ball on the ground and your foot 3 feet in the air going into a challenge has only one outcome when contact with a player is made, countless displays of dissent going unpunished, can't remember the City player who grabbed his wrist but they should have walked. Missed the Sterling pen yes but to be fair I think anyone would have been guessing it, got the LFC pen right other than that the game was a good one both teams trying to play attacking footie! Just MHO there.

Back