A&H

"You need to get control of this match ref"

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Had the above suggested to me today...having already given 3 dissent cautions out, one of which was a second yellow, I was a little confused as to what else I was supposed to be doing?

The Referee Store
Standard comment. Loosely translated as "we're going to kick lumps out of each other ref and we expect you to pick up the pieces" ...

Standard comment. Loosely translated as "we're going to kick lumps out of each other ref and we expect you to pick up the pieces" ...
The weird thing was, it come from the side who weren't picking up all the cautions and who, apart from the player in question, weren't even really complaining. Surprised me more than anything!

The weird thing was, it come from the side who weren't picking up all the cautions and who, apart from the player in question, weren't even really complaining. Surprised me more than anything!
Standard comment. Loosely translated as "They're kicking lumps out of us ref and we expect you to do something about it or we will..."

Agree with the above, but would add that If a team is collecting a lot of dissent cautions, a canny opponent will give a comment like that just to egg you on into more cautions and possibly a red. That sort of comment is in the same category as "he can't talk to you lik that ref!"

So could also be gamesmanship.

Agree with the above, but would add that If a team is collecting a lot of dissent cautions, a canny opponent will give a comment like that just to egg you on into more cautions and possibly a red. That sort of comment is in the same category as "he can't talk to you lik that ref!"

So could also be gamesmanship.
This makes a lot of sense to me actually. How would you respond to that?

The main reason I'm bringing this up is because this comment came just as I was starting to feel like I had regained a bit of control!

Deal with it like most things you hear on a football pitch, if it is not obvious that something is indeed wrong with the game, take it with a massive pinch of salt (ie ignore it) unless of course you believe this player is actually having a dig at your ability as a ref, which needs a bit more reaction to the player making the comment.

These sorts of comments are generally meant to unbalance you and give their team a small advantage. Some players are very good at this sort of shenanigans.

Sometimes if it's a serial moaner who says this, it does enter my head to say I'll get a grip of you if you don't pipe down. But then I just laugh and carry on being the average ref they think I am :):):)

Back