A&H

Your call?

WilliamD

Level 4 Referee
My game today...green player feels he was fouled, yours truly doesn't agree. He makes a massive protest so I call him over at the next stoppage just to have a word and set the tone. In the process of talking to him he proceeds to keep shouting and tells me quite loud "you would of called it if I was wearing blue"....what do you do next?

The Referee Store
How far into the game? Define "massive protest"? Has he been a pain in the arse all game?

Say what you want to say, move away, shouldn't take but a few seconds to tell a player to shut it......no need to get into a debate. If they keep shouting at you once you've moved away, makes the inevitable caution an easy sell.

As for the specific comment quoted......there are referees that will tell you that it's a red card every time......however, for me, it's definitely a caution for dissent BUT if they catch me in the wrong mood, they've been on my case all game, or they manage to otherwise make it so that that comment actually offends me, then they will be off. But I would consider it a bit of a soft one and would normally caution for it with a very clear warning that comments like that sailed very close to the wind.

Although he avoids the infamous word, surely this is an insinuation that you are cheating, which is the epitome of offensive language. It is a bit like the 'how much are they paying you?' line. I must say I would probably take into account age, temperature of the match and how it was said, but I wouldn't fault a referee who dismissed for this.

Out of interest, what is your response when players call their opponents cheats?

OA. 25 ish mins in. First comment from the player/team - though it got more tense from there. Massive protest may be hyperbole - was a loud/relatively distant, hands waving, shouting "come on ref, how is that not a foul, are you blind".

@Padfoot - almost 100% my view. On a bad day, late, and with someone who has been having a go all day I could go red - but I cautioned in this case. I told him last weeks ref and next weeks ref could easily go red for such a comment. He we surprised I was so serious and he was personally very well behaved the rest of his match - those not so much for his teammates.

I would describe myself as having realatively low tolerance for dissent and high for offinabus...just because I have seen how an early yellow for dissent can really help with control and how a soft red on offinabus can destroy contol. Half expediting to be shredded on here for not going red.

Although he avoids the infamous word, surely this is an insinuation that you are cheating, which is the epitome of offensive language. It is a bit like the 'how much are they paying you?' line. I must say I would probably take into account age, temperature of the match and how it was said, but I wouldn't fault a referee who dismissed for this.

Out of interest, what is your response when players call their opponents cheats?

And re players calling eatch other cheats....super high tolerance for this/selective hearing...on account of the fact that players actually do routinely try to circumvent the laws in their favour including diving, SPA, etc. A case by case / YHTBT of course but have never sent someone off for this.

I had one last Wednesday where the blue forward thought i was giving everything for the black and yellows. He shouted "ref, have you got a black and white top on or what?" (He meant to say black and yellow) after I stopped play to award a free kick against his team. I looked at him, looked at my shirt and said loudly "yes I do actually!"
The players on both sides were in stitches and his beetroot face was worth more than a yellow card! Priceless.

We had good craic for the rest of the game.

You won't get much criticism on here for the actions you took. We hold our impartiality on integrity in high esteem. Players who dance with words about us cheating will get short thrift.
If I have had a bad day they are likely to see rouge, though in most cases it's a yellow and a caution about future behaviour.

I officiated a game last week, where, one team are less well known, from east coast, and the other a huge worldwide name from the west.....30 seconds in, I ignored a handball appeal against the "bigger" team and the other team captain who was in close vicinity came out with "right guys as predicted we are up against it here", as a rallying call to their teammates about what I took as a premeditated attack that as referee I would favour their more illustrious opponents. The ball rolled out for a goal kick, and knowing the captain was yards away I firmly and politely said "right, that's enough of that , cut that out nonsense straight away". No threats as to future sanctions, no finger pointing, just a clear response that I had taken on board the comments.
Player held hand up, "sorry ref". Not a single bit of bother for the entire game. I feel stamping out that mentality as soon as it rears its head is the best cure.

I'd be twitching towards my back pocket there. Anything that says I am less than impartial, whether said directly or implied, can easily lead to me pulling the red out. If he's said it quietly or it looks like he regrets it straight away I might go yellow, but if it was loud and public and / or he keeps on going then he is walking.

Back