A&H

Your double yellow procedure

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
I was in a very wet game the other week. Got out the first yellow from top pocket. Went to write the number. Checked he had an earlier yellow. Very wet. Struggled to then get the red out of back pocket. Wall of water coming down. By the time I had the ruddy red he'd slipped off towards the showers in the mist.

Talk me through it - what order, where are your cards, what to do if you can't remember all the cautions late in the game (or because you are too wet!)...?

The Referee Store
Yellow card in front shorts pocket, red in back shorts pocket. Yellow AND red in left shirt pocket. Use the left shirt pocket if it's a second caution.
Does not compute. Are you saying you move the cards to the same pocket prior to showing if its a double yellow?
And I not a fan of yellow front pocket - my understanding is it is not compulsory - and there is no velcro which frightens me?

Does not compute. Are you saying you move the cards to the same pocket prior to showing if its a double yellow?
And I not a fan of yellow front pocket - my understanding is it is not compulsory - and there is no velcro which frightens me?

No I have two yellows and 2 reds so there is a separate yellow and red in my left shirt pocket. Also, my cards have never fallen out my shirt pockets. It's also where a lot of the Prem referees keep their cards (in their shorts) and I've never seen them drop them.

Yellow in front right shorts pocket. Red in back right shorts pocket. If it's the second caution, I transfer yellow to my left hand (and show it using my left hand) and use my right hand to grab the red as I'm showing the yellow. Then use right hand to show red. Works pretty well for me.

I have a second yellow and red in shirt pocket, but never actually use them.

Try and keep cards separate

For me it looks clumsy pulling both cards out the same pocket then showing one then the other. Much cleaner to have yellow in left then as you bring that card back down, immediately up goes the right hand with the red

If you use the notebook which has both cards in a slip then it's easy. But is this question really about a double yellow procedure? OP would have had the same problem with a straight red.
I always have 2 sets of cards - shirt pockets and side short pockets. Never liked cards in the back pocket - they always fall out.
Yellow right side, red left side. One doesn't want to come? I'll grab the other one. No dramas.
Right hand yellow comes down, left hand red comes up. Yellow is in the right because I'm right handed, use my right hand more, and use the yellow card more. So logic.

Yellow in front right shorts pocket. Red in back right shorts pocket. If it's the second caution, I transfer yellow to my left hand (and show it using my left hand) and use my right hand to grab the red as I'm showing the yellow. Then use right hand to show red. Works pretty well for me.

I have a second yellow and red in shirt pocket, but never actually use them.
Brilliant. This Left-Right move is the answer I was looking for.
And the two sets of cards.
And I will try the cards in the front shorts pockets - bit afraid of my long thighs knocking them out.
In fact. I may well go for a Right-Left move from the front pockets.

Good stuff guys.

One remaining question - what if you aren't sure about the previous caution? Notebook first, then cards?

Usually you won't notice until after you're starting to write it in your notebook......if you pull your notebook out first this will be the giveaway anyway. I'd say just issue the card.

No I have two yellows and 2 reds so there is a separate yellow and red in my left shirt pocket. Also, my cards have never fallen out my shirt pockets. It's also where a lot of the Prem referees keep their cards (in their shorts) and I've never seen them drop them.

My yellow has a pebbled texture, while my red is smooth, meaning I can tell the difference by touch and show in the correct order. Had it not been for his 3-card trick at the 2010 World Cup, Graham Poll would have been ridiculed for doing the exact opposite on an earlier double caution. He did show red then yellow, but it went under the radar.

If you use the notebook which has both cards in a slip then it's easy. But is this question really about a double yellow procedure? OP would have had the same problem with a straight red.
I always have 2 sets of cards - shirt pockets and side short pockets. Never liked cards in the back pocket - they always fall out.
Yellow right side, red left side. One doesn't want to come? I'll grab the other one. No dramas.
Right hand yellow comes down, left hand red comes up. Yellow is in the right because I'm right handed, use my right hand more, and use the yellow card more. So logic.
I find that my side short pockets are far move vulnerable to things falling out - I can keep my notebook in one because it's a bit heftier, but I wouldn't trust cards in there on their own.

Yellow in left shirt pocket and red in back left shorts pocket for me, same as OP. Never had a problem accessing the red because it's BIG and only kept in there with a small patch of velcro. And I can access the top pocket with either hand - left if I'm only showing a yellow, as that makes it smoother to write on the card (as I'm right handed), use my right hand if I need my left free to fetch the red.

This ^ ^ ^ .

Never understood this "different pockets for different cards" thing.??

My notebook is small, compact and has the made-to-fit cards in it (one in each sleeve). The sleeves are on the outside as well which makes it even easier.
Wherenever it's caution or dismissal time - out comes the notebook as per, and the cards are easily available - just choose a colour. :)

This ^ ^ ^ .

My notebook is small, compact and has the made-to-fit cards in it (one in each sleeve). The sleeves are on the outside as well which makes it even easier.
Wherenever it's caution or dismissal time - out comes the notebook as per, and the cards are easily available - just choose a colour. :)

I want the notebook away before I'm showing red. Don't want to have to take my eyes off him to put my notebook back in my shuirt

This ^ ^ ^ .

Oh I used to do exactly this - but the match cards are tiny and my handwriting is big and messy and I had occasional problems with paper match cards becoming illegible in the wet, so I've recently switched to using write-on cards whenever I have teamsheets and can get away with just writing down a shirt number (although I tend to take initials too).

This works much better for me and I've never had the problem the OP describes. The only thing I'm struggling with now is a good method for noting goals and subs plus having the ability to do general note-taking - considering laminating some slips of paper or thin card and using power-tank pens on those.

This ^ ^ ^ .

Oh kes.....if ANYBODY was going to disagree with me..... :cool::p
I don't use one of those pocket notebooks. Thus, doesn't leave me with much choice, does it? ;-)
Also, cards in the pocket is easier if you want to pull one out quickly.

Oh kes.....if ANYBODY was going to disagree with me..... :cool::p
I don't use one of those pocket notebooks. Thus, doesn't leave me with much choice, does it? ;-)
Also, cards in the pocket is easier if you want to pull one out quickly.

Erm...
When I did "This ^ ^ ^" - it means I was agreeing with your advice about using a notebook. ;)
You're paranoid chap. :D

im with you @CapnBloodbeard ... yellow in the right, red in the left ... powertank pen in top left pocket, notepad in either rear shorts or right top shirt pocket

Back