A&H

Your double yellow procedure

What a load of faffing about, going from pocket to pocket like looking for loose change: I use a notebook with cards in, one pencil in top of each sock(case i lose one) Been doing this for 11 years so quick and easy.....

Reactions: Kes
The Referee Store
What a load of faffing about, going from pocket to pocket like looking for loose change: I use a notebook with cards in, one pencil in top of each sock(case i lose one) Been doing this for 11 years so quick and easy.....
It's not quite as you describe - everyone who's posted referring to having cards in different pockets has been very clear that cards of one colour go in this pocket and cards of the other colour go in the other pocket, it's the same from match-to-match and you know it off by heart. Not scrambling round at all, 2 smooth movements into two known pockets, player is off.

I used to use a notebook like you (and unfortunately, still have to when I'm not supplied with teamsheets) and I find the lines to be annoyingly small, if they get wet you're often left guessing at player names after the match and you run the risk of players glimpsing the red and thinking they're being sent off when it's only going to be yellow. I much prefer just having write-on cards.

mike have you never had the horror of pouring wet/ freezing cold day when the cards just get stuck in the book

I have tried the cards in pocket separate from the note book but couldn't get on with it.

I'm not trying out 2 card wallets I got from b+d.

Both where the cards are inside so players there can be no misunderstandings by those on the side lines.

Offence occurs, referee pulls out notebook brandishes one (or two) cards as the situation requires. What's not to like? :cool:

It's the first reply for me; two sets. Chest has both for second yellow offences, shorts right has yellow with tape on to write on it the name/number/offence and red in the back. Notebook comes out for goals, subs and RCs; no cards in the notebook, strong enough and the players don't see a card coming out of your pocket all the time.

I must say having experimented with different ways of doing it, the chest works great for second yellow. Pull them both out, everyone knows the red is coming anyway so it's no surprise and show one after the other in alternate hands.

If I'm refereeing on say Sunday league I still keep my yellow left short pocket but it's a book so I got a match pad in there if it's i pull out the book so they know it's a yellow take the name and show. If it's a straight red I pull out my black book take name put book away then show them the red. For a West Midlands Regional league match I just use refs world card skins and take numbers cards still in same pocket

Since this thread I now keep red in left shorts, yellow in right shorts, and spare pair of cards in shirt left. Notebook is in shirt right.
Nothing has fallen out yet. It's all been good. Fingers crossed!

Have to say that the notebook works best with me, I don't usually remember whether a player already has a yellow or not. Was nearly embarrassed when issuing second yellow once, fortunately I went with procedure, name first......it was only then I realised I had identical twins on one team........

I keep yellow and match report card in top right pocket with my pen. And red in right hand shorts pocket. I always find undoing the velcro and procuring a red card from my rear shorts pocket a pain in the backside (excuse the pun) paticularly if wet/ freezing cold hands.

Back