A&H

Your most embarrassing moments as a referee / AR

The Referee Store
I was invited to take part in a youth tournament for provincial teams (best players from each province form a team, much like the way international teams work). I was assigned to referee the marquee match on the first day: Quebec vs. Alberta (two of the top 3 teams in Canada). I was setting the tone for the whole tournament.

Quebec were a little bit naughty and would persistently pick up the ball every time I called a foul against them. I used the stepped approach: first time, I had a quiet word about leaving the ball on the ground when I called a foul; second time, I made a big show of telling them not to do it anymore. So far, so good. Very good work. They don't learn and immediately do it again. Call the player over, isolate him, point out the two other times i warned against that behavior. So far, I am technically perfect. Show the player a card. Everyone is confused. I showed him the white card that I use to write down goalscorers. Cue laughter, embarrassment, and sheepishly showing him the yellow card while I ruined all of my hard work leading up to that moment.

The moral of the story: always put your cards in the same pocket.

Some of my most embarrassing moments (especially because I kept doing the same thing) all came when I first started out. I would quite regularly point to give throw-ins the wrong way at the beginning of the second half. I didn't do it every game but often enough that I felt it was starting to become quite a problem. The thing is, I would know as soon as I did it, that I had got it wrong and would then reverse it but it just kept happening until eventually, I hit upon the solution.

I don't know if it's something to do with the different parts of the brain that control speech and movement but I found if I called out the colour of the team who had the throw (e.g. red ball, white ball etc) instead of indicating with the arm first, I was able to get it right. After a while I found I no longer had to actually say the words out loud necessarily (though I often still did) I could just say it in my head and then after a short delay, indicate. Eventually, perhaps by dint of doing it over and over, I found I could "think and/or vocalize and indicate" pretty much simultaneously.

Last edited:
Some of my most embarrassing moments (especially because I kept doing the same thing) all came when I first started out. I would quite regularly point to give throw-ins the wrong way at the beginning of the second half. I didn't do it every game but often enough that I felt it was starting to become quite a problem. The thing is, I would know as soon as I did it, that I had got it wrong and would then reverse it but it just kept happening until eventually, I hit upon the solution.
I do this occasionally. I put it down to the fact I have a big rugby background and you indicate towards the team who's lineout it is.

Maybe not so embarrassing, but amusing. I sent a manager off from the sideline. After I'd got his name he carried on, as I showed him the Red Card, I meant to say "Off you go" however between brain and mouth it came out as "Cheerio"

Didn't do much for his mood, or that of those that were also in the technical area, though the opposition bench found it hilarious!

Ok, here we go. Some of these may have been shared previously. I apologise in advance for name dropping.

Running a line for Bobby Madley at Bradford City U18 vs Newcastle United (?) U18. Signalled for a throw-in in windy conditions and had an inkling I should look up to my flag. Saw it floating away on the wind and settling some 20-25m away from my position.

Turned up for his very first Supply League game with Andy Madley. The rain was biblical and the standing water was around 10cm deep across the whole of the field of play. As senior AR he asked me my opinion and I said there was no chance of play that day and he should ignore the groundsman who insisted it would drain if the rain stopped. We packed up, picked up our half fee and travel expenses. As we left the changing room we noted the rain had stopped. As we walked along by the field, we noted the water was draining quickly. As we began our walk back up to the car park, we saw the pitch was dry and the surface was perfect, ready for play.

Running the line for Andy Madley at Guiseley as they played Manchester City's Res side when they (Guiseley) were opening their new stand. Ball played past me heading out for a throw-in. Snapped a super efficient signal to indicate an attacking throw-in and locked eyes with Mr Madley. He's shaking his head and almost doubled up laughing. The ball has hit the corner flag, rebounded back into play and is sitting about 4m from the goal line.

Turned up to watch a mate referee a local derby on the Sunday League. I was dressed in jeans and t shirt and decided I would keep up with play. Went for a sprint on a through ball and promptly went head over heels. Tried springing to my feet and indicating a goal kick, but everyone had seen my tumble.

Turned up to referee a game in my second kit. Realised I didn't have my red card with me. I did however have a box of Christmas cards (and envelopes) in my bag. Was changing with the home team, who I knew well, and joked that I hoped I didn't have to send anyone off as it would be embarrassing to do so using a Christmas Card envelope. Got to the 89th minute when a second yellow saw the away team centre forward get his marching order. From over my shoulder I hear a comment "...you can't send him off with that referee..."

Running the line at a Sunday Cup semi final. Ball played towards me chased by a defender and attacker. Both plough straight into me, I go in the air and land on them.

Sending a congratulatory text to Martin Atkinson on the morning of his appearance as the FA Cup Final referee as the Secretary of the local FA. He acknowledged the message thanking me for the kind words. I then sent another text, this time I thought to a work colleague about not paying an invoice for some unproductive temporary staff. Turned out I had managed to hit reply to Martin and he found that I "was not paying those robbing *******s for the crap work they had done over the last two days".

Last edited:
Ok, here we go. Some of these may have been shared previously. I apologise in advance for name dropping.

Running a line for Bobby Madley at Bradford City U18 vs Newcastle United (?) U18. Signalled for a throw-in in windy conditions and had an inkling I should up to my flag. Saw it floating away on the wind and settling some 20-25m away from my position.

Turned up for his very first Supply League game with Andy Madley. The rain was biblical and the standing water was around 10cm deep across the whole of the field of play. As senior AR he asked me my opinion and I said there was no chance of play that day and he should ignore the groundsman who insisted it would drain if the rain stopped. We packed up, picked up our half fee and travel expenses. As we left the changing room we noted the rain had stopped. As we walked along by the field, we noted the water was draining quickly. As we began our walk back up to the car park, we saw the pitch was dry and the surface was perfect, ready for play.

Running the line for Andy Madley at Guiseley as they played Manchester City's Res side when they (Guiseley) were opening their new stand. Ball played past me heading out for a throw-in. Snapped a super efficient signal to indicate an attacking throw-in and locked eyes with Mr Madley. He's shaking his head and almost doubled up laughing. The ball has hit the corner flag, rebounded back into play and is sitting about 4m from the goal line.

Turned up to watch a mate referee a local derby on the Sunday League. I was dressed in jeans and t shirt and decided I would keep up with play. Went for a sprint on a through ball and promptly went head over heels. Tried springing to my feet and indicating a goal kick, but everyone had seen my tumble.

Turned up to referee a game in my second kit. Realised I didn't have my red card with me. I did however have a box of Christmas cards (and envelopes) in my bag. Was changing with the home team, who I knew well, and joked that I hoped I didn't have to send anyone off as it would be embarrassing to do so using a Christmas Card envelope. Got to the 89th minute when a second yellow saw the away team centre forward got his marching order. From over my shoulder I hear a comment "...you can't send him off with that referee..."

Running the line at a Sunday Cup semi final. Ball played towards chased by a defender and attacker. Both plough straight into me, I go in the air and land on them.

Sending a congratulatory text to Martin Atkinson on the morning of his appearance as the FA Cup Final referee as the Secretary of the local FA. He acknowledged the message thanking me for the kind words. I then sent another text, this time I thought to a work colleague about not paying an invoice for some unproductive temporary staff. Turned out I had managed to hit reply to Martin and he found that I was paying those "robbing *******s for the crap work they had done over the last two days".
Blinders Brian!
Why ruin the game... when you can cancel it before it's even started!

Some pushing and shoving in the box before a corner is taken. I'm eyeing the players near the keeper. Corner is taken and the keeper clearly pushes a player over. I blow for PK. Everyone looks confused. I say "two handed push." The players assume that I've seen something they haven't.

After the PK is taken and scored I piece together what happened. The corner kick, which I wasn't wathcing, went out of play almost immediately. The GK sees this and pushes his teammate to get him out of the way. Teammate falls over. Oops.

I apologised profusely to the GK afterwards, he was very understanding.

Back