A&H

2nd Penalty Spot

Justylove

RefChat Addict
county league pre match pitch inspection. All good except no penalty marks in either area.

Speak to groundsman, who tells me he'll do it right away. I give him some time then when I head out to warm up go to check them out.

One is fine, the other is not, approx 10.5 yards from the goal line. I speak to the groundsman again who makes a joke about him having short legs, then goes and marks a second spot at the correct distance. Despite efforts to scuff over the original, it's still clearly visible, so we have 2 spots in the area.

Both teams get told up front if we have a penalty at that end, it's the spot furthest away from the goal. In the end, no penalties either end in a pretty dire game of football.

The Referee Store
Oooo are we entering into unauthorised marks on the field of play territory :ninja:

Oooo are we entering into unauthorised marks on the field of play territory :ninja:
Incorrect not unauthorised. They were authorised by the referee but made incorrectly.

And it's quiet on here tonight so I thought I'd share if only to give all the wonderful members (and some of the not so wonderful) the anticipation of opening a brand new thread....
I was just waiting for a punchline

Incorrect not unauthorised. They were authorised by the referee but made incorrectly.

I was just waiting for a punchline

No punchline, unless you count one of the teams remarking on the ability of their nominated penalty taker that it could be marked on the 6 yard line and he'd still miss.

More amusing than the weekly "**** ring" comment during the pre match equipment check....

Some pitches we use turn to dust bowls by the end of the season and any penalty spot marked at the start of the game disappears by half time.
I never had to step out the mark. Its exactly half way between the 6 yard line and the 18 yard line. You can spot that with a naked eye with a of margin of error of less than a few inches .

I turned up for a game where 2 picthes were marked out one in blue and one in white. A normal occurence round my area as alot of age groups share the same pitch. But theperson marking out the blue pitch got confused and got it completly wrong with the penalty areas!
Lots of scufiing to get rid of the extra lines!

Get on with it, life isn't perfect, its not about you, its about 22 people having a game of football...Do what you can to facilitate it!!!

So in reality, you actually took the time and effort to inform both teams that if you awarded a penalty, it would be taken from a mark 12 yards from the goal line?

I hope you also told red team if they kicked the ball out of the park it would be blue team who put the ball back into play.

So in reality, you actually took the time and effort to inform both teams that if you awarded a penalty, it would be taken from a mark 12 yards from the goal line?

I hope you also told red team if they kicked the ball out of the park it would be blue team who put the ball back into play.
Nope I advised them of which of the 2 marks was 12 yards away, big difference.

To the second point, that would be stupid as it was Yellows v Blues....

Back