A&H

4th game

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
4 th game in and no cards before today.
U12s . Yellow player dives in, doesn’t win ball and I give a foul. He then aggressively gets up , shouts WHAT? And shouts VAR and does the symbol. I felt this was very disrespectful and dissentful and issued a dissent yellow card. The manager agreed I was right to do this .

Do you think i was right to do this ?

The Referee Store
Possibly could have managed it without a caution if this was the first time for him (or his team) doing anything of that nature. Was the VAR signal to be funny or to muck you? But if you thought it was over the top (dissent) within the context of the game then you were not wrong.

So the team in yellow got a yellow. Was the other team wearing red?

I thought I could but the team was getting a bit mouthy and argumentative so I thought I had to put a top . He was the captain and I had said at kick off to him that dissent would be a sin bin. Sorry this team was in red others were in yellow 😊. But the VAR symbol was definitely meant to mock me I felt.

Dissent or at attempt at stand up comedy, sorry, am inclined to go yellow there also

If he wants to practise his routine, the Fringe in Edin is a good place, my football pitch is not..

Dougie Smith booking Gazza for booking him?

Plus the kid needs to revise his VAR knowledge.....👌

Yeah, often at that age there’s one big mouth who thinks they’re the class clown - stamping down on it early is important for maintaining control. Sounds like you dealt with it well!

Another thing which struck me was when doing the kit inspection to ensure they had shin pads etc, the manager told me that no referee ever does this. I appreciate it is only a kids game but if a kid didn’t have a shin pad and somebody kicks them in the leg studs first, they could brake their leg and I would be In trouble for not checking.

Just wonder would you be doing a kit inspection ?

Another thing which struck me was when doing the kit inspection to ensure they had shin pads etc, the manager told me that no referee ever does this. I appreciate it is only a kids game but if a kid didn’t have a shin pad and somebody kicks them in the leg studs first, they could brake their leg and I would be In trouble for not checking.

You should do a kit inspection with a common sense approach. Ignore what other referees might not do

A what??
Am sorry to report am in the never check group
That said, your more correct than me by doing so and correct to insist

Always do back to back games with games scheduled with very little time to have a drink and organise team sheet, let alone equipment check.
Having said that, I do a visual quick check as walking on the field and in the first 5-10 minutes of the game looking for obvious stuff.

I once had to ask a player (futsal game) to leave the pitch in the first minute. He was wearing shinpads, but no socks.

I never check, i suppose an idea just before KO before you ask if the GK is ready to ask "have we got pads on boys" ?

Surely you look when checking boots, but with low end youth they all line up for you so a a shout of have you all got your pads on helps( and when the joker says no you tell him ok your not playing today.)

Surely you look when checking boots, but with low end youth they all line up for you so a a shout of have you all got your pads on helps( and when the joker says no you tell him ok your not playing today.)
Make sure you use different words when doing women game or the joker will say "it's not that time of the month ref".

There are loads of phrases that need a second look, ‘Man of the Match’, ‘Man up’ ‘Man on’

Can’t they think up their own or something 😎

Last edited:
Back