A&H

5-4 first report

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
So yesterday I received the score for my first assessment of 5-4, scoring a 73. So simply, is that good? Or is that a score we can consider ‘progress required’? I know I should be aiming for an average of over 70 so I’m satisfied with that as a starting point

The Referee Store
That's a good solid mark to start your 5-4 promotion season. Albeit it was a quite a few years ago and it may have now changed, 70 average is what you need for 5-4 promotion when the FA meet to discuss promotions. Although, someone may be able to correct me.

Last edited:
So yesterday I received the score for my first assessment of 5-4, scoring a 73. So simply, is that good? Or is that a score we can consider ‘progress required’? I know I should be aiming for an average of over 70 so I’m satisfied with that as a starting point
You're correct, an average of 70 or more across 5 observations will e a 'pass' on that criteria. If you also pass the other criteria (fitness test, workshop/LOTG, eligible matches) then that will enable your County FA to nominate you to the FA for promotion to Level 4.

However whether 73 turns out to be a "good" mark will depend on two further things. Firstly, how that stacks up against your county colleagues attempting the same promotion, as your nominations to the FA will be ranked from most promotable to least promotable. Secondly how many new L4's the FA need in your area ... which is very hard to estimate.

As such, you just need to average as high as you possibly can and then keep your fingers firmly crossed :)

You're correct, an average of 70 or more across 5 observations will e a 'pass' on that criteria. If you also pass the other criteria (fitness test, workshop/LOTG, eligible matches) then that will enable your County FA to nominate you to the FA for promotion to Level 4.

However whether 73 turns out to be a "good" mark will depend on two further things. Firstly, how that stacks up against your county colleagues attempting the same promotion, as your nominations to the FA will be ranked from most promotable to least promotable. Secondly how many new L4's the FA need in your area ... which is very hard to estimate.

As such, you just need to average as high as you possibly can and then keep your fingers firmly crossed :)
I can attest to this.
I had to have 2 goes at 5-4. In the year I got promoted I had a lower average than the year I did not. If I recall my average was 75. Something year 1 and 74. Something year 2.

I guess marking can come down to the luck the draw with the assessor as well? I got a 73, however my report gives off no development points so based on that it’s a case of keep doing what I’m doing and hope for the best!

Is no development points typical? I'd be really frustrated if someone observed me and couldn't give me a single idea of something I could do better or could think about as an idea. Nobody's perfect and it seems an observer who cares should always have some ideas (even if they are just given verbally and not part of the formal report.)

73 is a very good mark and way above the average that I have seen. When you consider that getting standard expected in all 20 competencies will only get you a mark of 60, even getting to 70 can be a challenge so you should be pleased with 73.

I can attest to this.
I had to have 2 goes at 5-4. In the year I got promoted I had a lower average than the year I did not. If I recall my average was 75. Something year 1 and 74. Something year 2.

Weren't you on the old form though, where the average needed was 73?

I guess marking can come down to the luck the draw with the assessor as well? I got a 73, however my report gives off no development points so based on that it’s a case of keep doing what I’m doing and hope for the best!
Getting to consistency across different observers is always challenging. In Hertfordshire I do my level best to ensure that all 5 to 4 candidates are seen by the same five observers so at least they face a relatively level playing field ...

Yes. I meant to add that I expect the form has changed now since I was promoted at the end of 2016-17.

Completely different now. 20 competencies and the mark required to be considered for nomination is 70. That means you have to get above standard in half of the competencies just to get the required mark. The highest I have seen given out is 74, and I've given out mid 60s as if a referee just goes through the motions they aren't getting above standard in anywhere near enough competencies.

@QuaverRef should be very happy with a 73.

73 is a very good mark and way above the average that I have seen. When you consider that getting standard expected in all 20 competencies will only get you a mark of 60, even getting to 70 can be a challenge so you should be pleased with 73.
That’s music to my ears. Fingers crossed for the next one then!

Completely different now. 20 competencies and the mark required to be considered for nomination is 70. That means you have to get above standard in half of the competencies just to get the required mark. The highest I have seen given out is 74, and I've given out mid 60s as if a referee just goes through the motions they aren't getting above standard in anywhere near enough competencies.

@QuaverRef should be very happy with a 73.
For my 5-4 in the first season of the new scheme being used. I got promoted with marks of 72, 72, 73, 74 and 75. There are a whole load of variables that you can't control, namely what scores others are getting, but you just need to focus on yourself.

I gathered that I was near the top, if not at the top of the average mark for promotion based on some unofficial feedback and the County Cup Final I got awarded. However, even as someone that did well as a 5-4 referee, the jump when you get to L4 is HUGE, so just focus on what you are doing well and try and build on that. Look at where you are getting 4's and try to maintain and look at where you get 3's and see what else you could have done to make them 4's.

Also bear in mind that observers mark things differently and some are tighter (or more generous) than others. Best thing to do is to look at the individual scores you're getting for each competency once you've had multiple observations and work out which ones you're consistently getting the same score for and work on developing yourself that way.

For my 5-4 in the first season of the new scheme being used. I got promoted with marks of 72, 72, 73, 74 and 75. There are a whole load of variables that you can't control, namely what scores others are getting, but you just need to focus on yourself.

I gathered that I was near the top, if not at the top of the average mark for promotion based on some unofficial feedback and the County Cup Final I got awarded. However, even as someone that did well as a 5-4 referee, the jump when you get to L4 is HUGE, so just focus on what you are doing well and try and build on that. Look at where you are getting 4's and try to maintain and look at where you get 3's and see what else you could have done to make them 4's.

Also bear in mind that observers mark things differently and some are tighter (or more generous) than others. Best thing to do is to look at the individual scores you're getting for each competency once you've had multiple observations and work out which ones you're consistently getting the same score for and work on developing yourself that way.
All good advice that, thank you

So I have my first 5-4 observation tomorrow. County League game but with no NARs due to shortages in the area.

Any advice from those who've done the 5-4 on what the Observer will be looking for at that level?

So I have my first 5-4 observation tomorrow. County League game but with no NARs due to shortages in the area.

Any advice from those who've done the 5-4 on what the Observer will be looking for at that level?

Everything they are looking for is in the observer manual that is in the resources section of this site, starting on page 10. Just as you would never go into any exam not knowing what you will be asked about, no referee should ever go into an observation not knowing off by heart the competencies that the observer will be looking for.

Link is here https://refchat.co.uk/resources/level-2b-3-and-4-observers-manual.61/download

I've attached the standard form that the observer should be using. In addition to the more basic competencies that you will have already demonstrated going from 7 to 5, the observer will also be looking for

1) good use of the stepped approach to (where possible) avoid early / unnecessary cards
2) greater use of fast sprints to ensure credible decision making from an appropriate angle and distance
3) a nuanced approach to the playing of advantage dependent on field position and match situation.

They should also be seeing how you lead a team of three so I'm a little surprised you're being observed on a game without NARs ... certainly wouldn't happen in my part of the world but totally understand that there is an overall shortage of officials at the moment.

Good luck!!

Attachments

• Blank 5 to 4 Form.pdf
    248.6 KB · Views: 48
I've attached the standard form that the observer should be using. In addition to the more basic competencies that you will have already demonstrated going from 7 to 5, the observer will also be looking for

1) good use of the stepped approach to (where possible) avoid early / unnecessary cards
2) greater use of fast sprints to ensure credible decision making from an appropriate angle and distance
3) a nuanced approach to the playing of advantage dependent on field position and match situation.

They should also be seeing how you lead a team of three so I'm a little surprised you're being observed on a game without NARs ... certainly wouldn't happen in my part of the world but totally understand that there is an overall shortage of officials at the moment.

Good luck!!
4 of my 5-4's were with CAR's. Step 7 is done without NAR's where we are.

One of the things I've thought about is with CARs is do I need to go over to the halfway line to do the substitution procedure as I did when I was doing 6-5? On 5-4 there'd usually be NARs (I have a step 6 middle next week for example) and therefore I'm just taking names and not going over to do kit inspection etc at each time but I'm not sure how to approach this with CARs?

Also, fulfilling the criteria of "pre match instructions with ARs" is a bit of a difficult one as I'd usually go for a very brief "offsides and throw ins only", but when I have NARs I obviously I do a full pre match chat.

Thoughts?

One of the things I've thought about is with CARs is do I need to go over to the halfway line to do the substitution procedure as I did when I was doing 6-5? On 5-4 there'd usually be NARs (I have a step 6 middle next week for example) and therefore I'm just taking names and not going over to do kit inspection etc at each time but I'm not sure how to approach this with CARs?

Also, fulfilling the criteria of "pre match instructions with ARs" is a bit of a difficult one as I'd usually go for a very brief "offsides and throw ins only", but when I have NARs I obviously I do a full pre match chat.

Thoughts?
God yes. Sub procedure with CAR's as you did at lower levels. Not doing it is a dumb way to drop marks.

Same with pre match, treat it like any other game with CAR's.

Remember you need to help the observer to "find a way" to award you at least 10 extra marks on top of standard expected. Don't find a way to have him mark you at a 3 or below

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back