A&H

A Minute for Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
I think this may be the first positive match incident I have shared.

Saturday morning after spending most of the night keeping tabs on the developing attrocities in Paris, I was toying whether or not to hold a minutes silence for the preceeding events. I knew the Football League would surely be forthcoming but with no email from the leagues that normally immediately notify us of such marks of respect i thought it best to reserve judgement until arriving at the community center in sleepy north Hertfordshire for my top of the table clash game.

Arriving I approached the home team manager and went through formalities. Team sheet fella? Match ball? Which one of those wants the flag?

I decided to inform the manager I would call his lads in 2 minutes early to hold a minutes silence and it was up to them as individuals to decide if they wished to partake or not. I repeated this with the away team manager.

At the time of blowing my whistle, not only did the home team and away team come to the Centre circle but their coaches, subs and spectators (there were only 8 or so from each) came onto the pitch, heads bowed and thanked me for providing the minutes silence as many had also expected advice from the league.

So there we stood in a field in the pouring rain and bitter wind in silent reflection and respect as a team of 40. Not as teams or refs or coaches or spectators; but as a group of British humans sharing our disgust at the events in Paris in perfect and reflective silence.

The game started and it was by a country mile the best contested, best mannered and most competitive game I've reffed with not a bad word uttered from anywhere.

The occassion was overshadowed by the feeling around us all and to the enourmous credit of both teams, they marked it with only the best and truest of British values and respect.

The game finished 3-2. There were no major celebrations afterwards but I did not see anybody not shake a hand. I had all 22 players 10 subs 4 coaches and 15 or so spectators shake my hand as they did for the rest of the congregation present

It is days like these that remind me what it is to share a passion for football and why I wear the shirt - as I facilitated something that nobody wanted to mention but everybody wanted to do to mark their respects.

The Referee Store
Hardly the end of the world, but you've gone slightly beyond your remit.
Not for referees to decide when to hold a minute's silence.
Also, did you hold a minutes silence for the 200+ killed in the plane crash last week?
Thought not.

Hardly the end of the world, but you've gone slightly beyond your remit.
Not for referees to decide when to hold a minute's silence.
Also, did you hold a minutes silence for the 200+ killed in the plane crash last week?
Thought not.

Christ almighty.

Some people would find dark in the surface of the sun. Do you keyboard warriors live a life so perfect and cynical that you have nothing better to do than pick fault??

@HertsFinest has shared a true example of the passion, emotion and respect that makes the grassroots game such a passion for us all when moments like this occur.

It reminds us of the true appreciation of 22 blokes kicking a bag of wind around for an hour and a half in the right spirit and having the freedom to be able to do so.

If it's not your bag or not the done thing in your opinion then fine - that's your prerogative, but don't stamp on the honest intentions and enthusiasm of a colleague.

Bugger me!! Are we all on our periods or something? Any chance we can all lighten up a bit eh? Getting a bit sick and tired of the digs and snide remarks. As @SM said in another thread, warnings will be issued if this trend continues

Keyboard warrior?
Sarcasm?
Please help me to help myself by pointing out EXACTLY where I used any aggressive language or sarcasm?
You have held a minutes silence for something you personally thought was worthy.
You personally consider the lives of those killed more important than the many killed every week in other parts of the world because the telly told you they are.
Imagine refereeing on a Jewish league the day after Israel had decided to bomb a hospital killing many civilians, would I be having a minutes silence because I personally felt we should?
Plus I like the blasphemy from Regal and sexism from Ross, Fortunately I'm not as sensitive as other forum users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back