A&H

A player refuses to remove item AND leave the field of play.

newref

A player refuses to remove item so he is told by the referee to leave the field of play at the next stoppage as per the law. However, the player refuses to leave or remove the item. The referee then gives a yellow to the player as per the law. What next....? Does play continue? Does the referee hope the player removes the item after he receives the yellow? Does he hope the player leaves the field of player after giving the yellow? What next as a referee...?

The Referee Store
Unlikely course of events, but not complicated in theory. If the player continues to refuse to leave the field, you'll end up with another caution, which results in a send off. If the player still refuses to leave, the game is abandoned.

In the real world, look to the captain or manager (depending on level)--"are you getting him off the field or do I have to give him a second caution?"

Bit quick on the old abandon button there Mr G, many a step before that! 500 plus games and one abandonment for WW3, this is just a mere flesh wound of an issue....

Bit quick on the old abandon button there Mr G, many a step before that! 500 plus games and one abandonment for WW3, this is just a mere flesh wound of an issue....

Whilst there are steps in between the two outcomes given are still pretty much the only ways forward.
If I've told a player to take something off I can't then let him play with it on.

Has this happened in one of your games? I’ve just noticed back to back posts specifically about a player removing ‘an item’

It obviously wouldn't be the first choice but assuming you've arrived at the point where the player has already been cautioned twice, resulting in a red card for repeatedly refusing to remove the item, where they are still continuing to refuse to either remove it or leave the field, and after exhausting your and everyone else's best efforts to persuade them to leave, what other alternative is there?

Back