A&H

A quick free kick (within shooting distance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
New Referee so hopefully someone can give some advance.

Still seems to be bit of a grey area on this.

Whats your views ?

Laws state (i believe) that no whistle or permission has to be given for a free kick to be taken.

Had a game last night and the taker asked me can i take a quick one (4-5 seconds after kick awarded and while i was counting the yards for the wall)

My understanding (although its just my view) is you either take it quickly within say 2-3 second or you wait for my signal (but just to confuse things you don"t officially have to wait for a signal

Confused ? I am.

The Referee Store
Very simple this one for me, if it’s within shooting distance then the second I’ve blown for the free kick I’ll walk towards the exact spot & signal to kicker on my whistle.

If it’s not within shooting distance & you can judge it’s not gonna cause any issue & a team take a quick free kick then away we go.

Forget the whole don’t need a whistle from you, your in charge you have the final say if it’s in a dangerous position say to the kicker on my whistle and count your ten yards out, that way you will be in the ideal position & comfortable for the next phase of play.

Let someone shoot early whilst keepers not ready in law I guess yes he’s asked you can he take it early, in reality save yourself the aggro & advise instantly on my whistle fellas.

If you are already counting out the wall the defenders will be assuming on the whistle. If you let it be taken quickly and they score match control will be very difficult after that. The attacking team does have the right to take it quick near the penalty area but you must be in the right position and switched on, but you might need to have a word or caution a defender.

Once you have interjected yourself into the situation (talking to a player, verbally directing a player to retreat, pacing off the 10, etc) then it needs to be on your whistle and indicated as such. Dont be too quick to assume they will ask for 10. If they want to go quickly, dont prevent them from doing so. Once you are part of the calculations, it needs to be on your whistle. Dont interject yourself unless you must or they are asking

They are entitled to take it qiuck unless you tell them not to. Don't assume they know this. If you don't want them to take it quick clearly indicate it to 'everyone'.

Only stop a quick free kick (by indicating) if the law requires you to (eg issuing a card) or you need it for match control.

Change your thinking a bit. Move away from the, permission part.
The fk, any fk, happens with your say so, but not always will your permission be outwardly conveyed...

Very simple this one for me, if it’s within shooting distance then the second I’ve blown for the free kick I’ll walk towards the exact spot & signal to kicker on my whistle.

If it’s not within shooting distance & you can judge it’s not gonna cause any issue & a team take a quick free kick then away we go.

Forget the whole don’t need a whistle from you, your in charge you have the final say if it’s in a dangerous position say to the kicker on my whistle and count your ten yards out, that way you will be in the ideal position & comfortable for the next phase of play.

Let someone shoot early whilst keepers not ready in law I guess yes he’s asked you can he take it early, in reality save yourself the aggro & advise instantly on my whistle fellas.
MIB, going by previous threads, most referees on here will disagree with you. Yes, once you're pacing out the wall, the FK should be on the whistle, otherwise you shouldn't be giving an advantage to the offending (defensive) team by insisting on a whistle

My approach is usually to move over to the FK location and wait for the attacking team to place the ball. As soon as the ball is placed, I say "on the whistle please guys" and then start to pace out the wall. If they ask for a quick FK before the ball is placed, I'll say yes and start to quickly back off, as a silent but visible signal to the defending team. No whistle unless they then hesitate for a few seconds, to indicate that they should just get on with it now.

The thinking is that while the fouled team have the right to the best possible advantage, that doesn't extend to including me in fooling the defence. So as soon as it looks like there's any chance of it being interpreted as a ceremonial FK, that's what it becomes. Up until then (which I take to be as when the ball is placed), they can go quick as long as I don't need to do something else like show a card.

MIB, going by previous threads, most referees on here will disagree with you. Yes, once you're pacing out the wall, the FK should be on the whistle, otherwise you shouldn't be giving an advantage to the offending (defensive) team by insisting on a whistle

I hear ya bruva in all honesty 99.9% of the time they won’t be able to take it quickly anyway, the ball won’t be where the offence took place, players will likely be in the way or or on the deck, sum1 will stand in the path to stop the quick free kick anyway blah blah blah.

I’ve never had a team try a quick free kick in a shooting position they’d rather size it up & have a decent crack at it rather than rush.

In the unlikely event that someone does try it & the ball is in the right place players back etc then yeah gotta let it go but like I said it’s rare these days, quick free kick to shoot has gone out of fashion.

Just to clarify when and when isn’t a whistle required to restart play?

Kick off & penalty yes, free kick if you instruct the player on my whistle.

Anymore?

Anymore?
Whistle? Very rarely. A "signal" from the referee, or with the referee's permission? Much more often.

Anymore?

Often as well if you've stopped the game for any reason at another set piece (e.g. this useless talking to players at corners we see going on in the World Cup), then a short blast can help too, just so everyone knows.

Dead simple from my point of view, as a ex player, if i believe its withing reasonable shooting distance and i believe the goalkeeper will set up a wall as soon as I blow for the offence I will stand over the ball and shout to the keeper on the whistle. I've only ever had a complaint from 2 players in 4 seasons so i'm happy it works.

Dead simple from my point of view, as a ex player, if i believe its withing reasonable shooting distance and i believe the goalkeeper will set up a wall as soon as I blow for the offence I will stand over the ball and shout to the keeper on the whistle. I've only ever had a complaint from 2 players in 4 seasons so i'm happy it works.

Do you book yourself for delaying the restart ;)

To the OP, the LOTG specify a few times when you MUST blow the whistle. Issuing a card, a sub, that sort of thing. Assuming that doesn't occur, then the attacking team always has the right to the quick free kick.

There's a bit of room for common sense though. If you're standing on the spot and they've gone over to slowly retrieve the ball and send it back...well, obviously they're not looking to take it quickly so don't think too much about their right. There's no specific measure on what's 'quick'...just use your own understanding. If the attacking team hasn't taken it fairly quickly, then take over the situation.

If you've intervened in any way, then it's ceremonial. That is to say - don't pass the ball back to the kicker just because you're nearby.

If you've started walking the defenders back, then you're intervening. At this point, it's ceremonial.

In fact, if you're going to start walking the defenders back, then before you do say to the attackers 'on the whistle'. Hold your whistle up high and point to it. It will feel exaggerated, but it's necessary - because the attacker probably isn't actually listening to you.

The way you said you understand it is more or less what works. The LOTG aren't quite explicit, but that's the general scenario. But in your case, you probably should have clearly indicated beforehand that it's ceremonial, that'll be your take-away on this one :)

Anymore?
This one's in the Laws :)
I'm not following this at all. If the attacking team wants to take it before the keeper sets up the wall, that's their right. A free kick is about the attacker, not the defender.

I hear ya bruva in all honesty 99.9% of the time they won’t be able to take it quickly anyway, the ball won’t be where the offence took place, players will likely be in the way or or on the deck, sum1 will stand in the path to stop the quick free kick anyway blah blah blah.

I’ve never had a team try a quick free kick in a shooting position they’d rather size it up & have a decent crack at it rather than rush.

In the unlikely event that someone does try it & the ball is in the right place players back etc then yeah gotta let it go but like I said it’s rare these days, quick free kick to shoot has gone out of fashion.
The number of times I see it a season I could probably count on one hand. And at least half of those are taken clearly from the wrong spot. Although if it went straight out then the position looked fine to me ;-)

Usually I ask the attacker if he's taking it or he wants the distance. If they elect for the latter and I'm dealing with the wall then I inform them it's on the whistle.

Be proactive at dealing with defenders standing by the ball however - nearly every other team does this now, and if you don't caution them (or deal with it another way) then you'll rarely be seeing quick-free kicks.

awareness is key. Soon as you award it, think, if it was you, would you be making the quick pass?
Obv as others state, make sure you are not dealing with a warning, caution, injury, sub or anything else.
The priority here is not, is the attacker ready to take it, or, are the defenders ready
The priority is you, are you ready, have you ticked off mentally every box, ball in right place, not moving, etc

You need to make sure its you thats in control, the players merely dance to your beat

To add to the sensible posts here:

If there is any doubt about if the attacker wants it ceremonial then you ask them - but without pointing at your whistle and without standing too close - otherwise you will send the wrong signal and cause mayhem.

If I have a DFK near the touchline on my diagonal and I am close by - and I can see the attacker wants to wait for more heads in the box - then I nearly always tell him/her I want it on the whistle for me - to give me time to get into a good position.

And as said, if you have to interfere in any way, tell everyone ASAP it's on the whistle. Otherwise, let them take it quickly or ask if the attacker wants the whistle.

Great way of spicing up a crap game or miffing a moany team by allowing a quick one. If your marking it out obviously you can’t go quick, not sure where shooting distance actually starts so all are fair game

Unless you specifically tell them to wait for the whistle, let them play as soon as they want, shooting distance or not.

Times when you might tell them to wait would be talking to a player, disciplining a player, counting the wall, getting in position etc

I usually say "Play as soon as you're ready", if you want it on the whistle, make it very clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back