A&H

A Simple One (Not Me)

Guess who’s back... back again. It’s me with another question although this one is a lot more plausible than my last one

So, imagine this scenario. Team 1 get a direct free kick which they look to take quickly. A Team 2 player shouts stand on the ball and his teammate does so. The player who stands on the ball is booked for failing to respect the required distance. The Team 1 player then chooses not to take it quick, and they and score

So here’s the question. Is that allowed? Or after I booked the player for failing to respect the required distance should it have been an indirect free kick? If so seems a bit unfair to stop it being a shooting opportunity. I’m sure there’s an answer in the Laws but I came here for clarity. Once again, thanks!

The Referee Store
Guess who’s back... back again. It’s me with another question although this one is a lot more plausible than my last one

So, imagine this scenario. Team 1 get a direct free kick which they look to take quickly. A Team 2 player shouts stand on the ball and his teammate does so. The player who stands on the ball is booked for failing to respect the required distance. The Team 1 player then chooses not to take it quick, and they and score

So here’s the question. Is that allowed? Or after I booked the player for failing to respect the required distance should it have been an indirect free kick? If so seems a bit unfair to stop it being a shooting opportunity. I’m sure there’s an answer in the Laws but I came here for clarity. Once again, thanks!
Well the ball is not in play once play is stopped and free kick is awarded, so the restart remains direct as the offence of failing to respect distance happens with the ball out of play.

Well, there is no choice to be made--once the ref stops to issue the caution, it's a ceremonial kick on the whistle.

as @JamesL said, the DFK remains. (General soccer concept: restarts do not change until they are taken (there are minor exceptions, but none close to applicable here).)

Back