A&H

A strange five minutes

The Referee Store
Not offside

I'm not too sure what this whole reporting nonsense is about. We are there to facilitate the game and allow it to take place, we cannot be demanding that the players play football. In law, you would not have a leg to stand on in terms of cautioning any players. Reporting it to the league would most probably cause you to look like a 'busy' referee, I very much doubt that in the competition rules it explicitly states that both teams have to be competitively competing for the fixture throughout the whole 90 minutes. So how would you report it?

In terms of what I would do, had there been 5 minutes of extra time and this occurred, I'd walk to the captains and ask if this was their intentions for the rest of the five minutes and would blow the final whistle shortly after. Nobody would complain, whereas playing the last couple of minutes the teams will be pestering you to finish the match along with the touchlines, they can see how it is going to play out. Who is not to say that in extra time, two players get talking, engage in a few indecent words and break out into a mass confrontation - is unlikely, but very possible. Save yourself this hassle and play slightly less stoppage time than you had originally thought.

I'm more inclined to support Charlie as we cannot really do nothing

I once reported a team for parking the bus for the entire second half. 'Not in the spirit of the game' and 'lack of respect for the game.
What was the outcome of this. I am intrigued because as far as I'm aware teams are entitled to employ any tactics to try and get the result that they want (apart from match fixing). Did you report it to the league or FA?

Damn, now HullRef is the only ref with common sense around here :rolleyes:
Having read through my previous comments, I apologise if they appear hostile, that was not my intention.

However I still do stand by my approach until the powers that be implement something to prevent teams from doing this. I completely understand that it is wrong in law to shorten the match and that the referees are perfectly correct to play the full 5 minutes, however I think it would be in the best interests of everyone there to finish the match on 85 minutes.

I think we will have to agree to disagree :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What was the outcome of this. I am intrigued because as far as I'm aware teams are entitled to employ any tactics to try and get the result that they want (apart from match fixing). Did you report it to the league or FA?
It was a joke.

Wait, was the story that u reported it a joke, or was it how it was dealt with, I'm confused?:confused::)
The whole story was a poor attempt at a sarcastic joke. Teams should be able to play whichever way they like within the bounds of the LOTG and ROC. The fact that we don't like it or its not attractive is no grounds for reporting or punishment.

Oh by the way I also reported a team for playing long ball all game ;)

If this happened in one of my games in the past - I would have setup a beach chair at the side of the pitch - cracked open a beer and let them pass out the last five minutes without disturbing me

Back