A&H

Accrington Stanley referees go down!

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Referee Neil Hair limped off in the 22nd minute and was replaced in the middle by fourth official Alan Clayton.
Mr Clayton was injured at half-time and the interval lasted over an hour while both sides discussed how to go forward as neither of the injured officials could run the line and anyone qualified in the crowd had a bias to a particular side.
The second half ended up kicking off at 17: 10 GMT, with the agreement of both managers John Coleman and Dave Artell, with assistant referee Danny Gratton taking over as referee and just one assistant Conor Brown.
It was decided on the toss of a coin which side he would officiate on, which was the Crewe half, while Mr Clayton went back to fourth official.

I understand that several calls were made to the FA to try and resolve. I've never heard of managers objecting to a qualified referee from the crowd before.
Assuming any voulunteers WERE qualified I bet they were pretty miffed at being accused of potential bias - I'm sure we could all (or most anyway;)) referee or AR 'our' clubs without bias if we ever had to.

The Referee Store
I saw that a level 5 volunteered to run the line but was turned away as it may be bias i dont see that happening and think they should of just used him

It’s strange that the offer of help from an experienced ref was turned down. They put a request out over the tannoy at Southend for a qualified ref to become the 4th official recently.

I'm surprised it carried on with two officials. FA Cup rules say that this should happen in the qualifying competition if the two clubs can't agree on a replacement, but the fact that the rule specifically mentions the qualifying competition has to mean it shouldn't happen from the 1st round proper onwards.

I'm surprised it carried on with two officials. FA Cup rules say that this should happen in the qualifying competition if the two clubs can't agree on a replacement, but the fact that the rule specifically mentions the qualifying competition has to mean it shouldn't happen from the 1st round proper onwards.

I guess that was the reason for the delay but I think it is the 'right' thing for the game to continue rather than supporters having to go home.

For me this is not just lack of respect/trust for the qualified persons who offers to do the job but about a lack of trust/respect for the profession as it sounds like they rejected the idea and not just the person.

I would use an analogy in line with the current climate where I am. It is like a town declining to have firefighter help them fight bush fires, because the person has his/her own (or friend's) house in town and would be biased to save them first. Yeah I know apples and oranges but our profession does not deserve that distrust in integrity.

I saw that a level 5 volunteered to run the line but was turned away as it may be bias i dont see that happening and think they should of just used him
There are other comments that somebody was acceptable, but then back out.

I am very interested how the referee determined ball in/out on the touchline / goal line.

I also wonder when the 3rd referee had referees his last match if any importance. As a FL assistant, it may have been 3 years ago. Anybody know?

I would imagine the R radically changed his positioning so that he was positioning more or less between where he would normally be and where the missing AR would have been. And like any game without a full team, some calls are just going to get missed.

(I wonder if they considered one of the two injured refs being an AR, but just staying in the corner to see both lines.)

Bloody hell. I wouldn't want to go in middle of a jinxed pitch that had claimed 2 referees in 45 mins!!
To be so injured to not be able to do a line is a proper injury!
Connor Brown ( Manchester RDO I assume) must have been knackered running both lines 😂

There are other comments that somebody was acceptable, but then back out.

I am very interested how the referee determined ball in/out on the touchline / goal line.

I also wonder when the 3rd referee had referees his last match if any importance. As a FL assistant, it may have been 3 years ago. Anybody know?
Nevermind in/out, what about offside!

I would imagine the R radically changed his positioning so that he was positioning more or less between where he would normally be and where the missing AR would have been. And like any game without a full team, some calls are just going to get missed.

(I wonder if they considered one of the two injured refs being an AR, but just staying in the corner to see both lines.)
When I've been left with one AR (take for example when my CAR chucked the flag at a player), the diagonal goes out the window. End up mostly on the side of the pitch opposite the remaining AR

it is interesting in england they allow car which are effectivly unused subs or club supporters but wont use qualified officials who are in the crowd weird
CARs aren't used all over England, and the first round of the FA cup is slightly different to division 5 of the dog and duck league.

I know that referees from the crowd have filled in as 4th when a referee has been injured, does anyone know if a referee from the crowd has been asked to run the line in a competitive professional match?

CARs aren't used all over England, and the first round of the FA cup is slightly different to division 5 of the dog and duck league.

I know that referees from the crowd have filled in as 4th when a referee has been injured, does anyone know if a referee from the crowd has been asked to run the line in a competitive professional match?
Nearly, Craig Grundy SHCFA was uplifted to fourth from the crowd... https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-express/20080124/282991100584550

Jimmy Hill did it on TV back in the day!:eek:

Details here

https://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/tv-pundit-jimmy-hill-runs-the-line

Back