A&H

Accused of hugging the centre circle

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Well, I am not going to lie. I spent more time in the centre circle than I did elsewhere (my heat map below will show that more or less).
But in my defence, without assistants being able to back me up whilst behind play, this was virtually the best place to ref this game due to both teams lack of football technique and skill.
Both teams literally thought the game should be played long ball. Wasn't the biggest of pitches, but whenever they got the chance, it literally was hoof ball. I was caught out the first 10 minutes where I tried to keep up with the long balls but in the end I felt my best position was in and around the centre circle.
It did finish 6-1 and it shows as it was a a bit one sided, meaning I didn't have to go that far anyway. But the losing side was just constantly long ball after long ball clearing their lines, hoping their 1 fast striker can latch on to things (and a lot of the time he did, meaning I had to sprint to try and catch up with them just for them to lose the ball and it get punted back up again. 80 minute match. I was, admittedly, tiring after about an hour. I am a big lad, relatively fit however, but not having many games for 15 months (had 3 previous games in 2021, and since covid started I've done 9 with the the last in 2020 being in October) had finally taken its toll today.

Why do losing teams complain about the refs in centre circles all the time when they don't even try themselves?

191330305_3744947585616574_4958285112405222847_n.jpg

The Referee Store
I don't think an observer would have been too impressed with my positioning this past Saturday. It was on a pitch I know well with a heavy diagonal slope. I know from past experience that trying to follow the 'correct' diagonal is a killer as it's one of those slopes where you seem to be running uphill whichever direction you are going. I tended to follow a straight line about 10-15 yards in from one touchline. Definitely not textbook but I felt it worked well and I was happy with my performance. At grass roots level and without assistants I do think you have to change your positioning depending on circumstances.

If all else fails - blame the ref and pick something that's difficult to defend!
I had a double-header last week, no incidents, no pens , no cards (in first 3 quarters), only one team going to win. 4th quarter the moaning started from the losing team (U18) and their manager, and this was their theme too. Yes, it was a tiring match (for everyone) and 4th quarter it became a hoof to the other end match, and at that point you cannot get into the corners, so do tend to spend more time in the centre circle; but that's better than being in the wrong penalty box.
If you're still passing midfield players trying to support the longball game, then you're not doing a lot wrong.

Well, I am not going to lie. I spent more time in the centre circle than I did elsewhere (my heat map below will show that more or less).
But in my defence, without assistants being able to back me up whilst behind play, this was virtually the best place to ref this game due to both teams lack of football technique and skill.
Both teams literally thought the game should be played long ball. Wasn't the biggest of pitches, but whenever they got the chance, it literally was hoof ball. I was caught out the first 10 minutes where I tried to keep up with the long balls but in the end I felt my best position was in and around the centre circle.
It did finish 6-1 and it shows as it was a a bit one sided, meaning I didn't have to go that far anyway. But the losing side was just constantly long ball after long ball clearing their lines, hoping their 1 fast striker can latch on to things (and a lot of the time he did, meaning I had to sprint to try and catch up with them just for them to lose the ball and it get punted back up again. 80 minute match. I was, admittedly, tiring after about an hour. I am a big lad, relatively fit however, but not having many games for 15 months (had 3 previous games in 2021, and since covid started I've done 9 with the the last in 2020 being in October) had finally taken its toll today.

Why do losing teams complain about the refs in centre circles all the time when they don't even try themselves?

View attachment 4962
What app is this?

If all else fails - blame the ref and pick something that's difficult to defend!
I had a double-header last week, no incidents, no pens , no cards (in first 3 quarters), only one team going to win. 4th quarter the moaning started from the losing team (U18) and their manager, and this was their theme too. Yes, it was a tiring match (for everyone) and 4th quarter it became a hoof to the other end match, and at that point you cannot get into the corners, so do tend to spend more time in the centre circle; but that's better than being in the wrong penalty box.
If you're still passing midfield players trying to support the longball game, then you're not doing a lot wrong.

I like the challenge of trying to keep up with long ball games. The ball is invariable landing 30 yards from either box which means you have 40 yards to work in most of the time. If you're fit enough then it can be done comfortably. If you don't have that fitness then being in the middle is not a bad tactic at all.

Refs can be critical of long ball football but it's a legitimate tactic to try to beat technically better sides or to turn the defences of good sides and stop them defending high up and compressing the pitch. It's just a different challenge and one we should embrace. It's nice to be able to let teams battle more physically if you have 2 teams that are both playing and accepting a more physical game.

I like the challenge of trying to keep up with long ball games. The ball is invariable landing 30 yards from either box which means you have 40 yards to work in most of the time. If you're fit enough then it can be done comfortably. If you don't have that fitness then being in the middle is not a bad tactic at all.

Refs can be critical of long ball football but it's a legitimate tactic to try to beat technically better sides or to turn the defences of good sides and stop them defending high up and compressing the pitch. It's just a different challenge and one we should embrace. It's nice to be able to let teams battle more physically if you have 2 teams that are both playing and accepting a more physical game.
Oh I get that.
May not be pretty, and I imagine for midfielders, may be very boring for that team, but as long as they can go home and say they won, their school mates won't care how they played.
I was more "annoyed" being called a centre circle hugger purely because I spent most time in the centre circle. Actually I'd argue I didn't, I may not have gone too far out of it, but I did. I even gave a penalty.
I'm not as fit as I used to be, lockdown being a major factor, but I'll get there

Oh I get that.
May not be pretty, and I imagine for midfielders, may be very boring for that team, but as long as they can go home and say they won, their school mates won't care how they played.
I was more "annoyed" being called a centre circle hugger purely because I spent most time in the centre circle. Actually I'd argue I didn't, I may not have gone too far out of it, but I did. I even gave a penalty.
I'm not as fit as I used to be, lockdown being a major factor, but I'll get there

I've no real experience with kids football, in adult football I played with some very good teams who could get it down and play but going long is always an option, even more so as you start to go up towards supply league standard. You've got to be able to handle the physicality, got to embrace it for what it is. I enjoyed it. Theres more than one way to win a football match and there's certainly no right way of playing despite what many coaches or fans believe. It's about winning as you start to go up the chain in adult football and refereeing often reflects the game in front of the referee. If I refereed an adult game with two big and physical teams who are being physical but in no way dirty then ill allow a certain amount of physicality. If its u18 academy game with 2 teams playing on the deck and not expecting alot of physicality then ill adjust accordingly.

Read the room and all that.

Equally, some games require alot of running from the referee. Some you could do from the car park! And some go from one extreme to the other. I'm always wary of advice that states that you have to do things one way. Imo their are some basics to always fall back on but you've got to be adaptable whether you're the player, the coach or the ref.

When I ref thee assistants only call out of play so my positioning will be wherever I feel best placed to make a call. Nothing worse though when standing on the goal line on a corner and the first defender booting it clear and you're in one box and play is on the edge of the other box.

When I ref thee assistants only call out of play so my positioning will be wherever I feel best placed to make a call. Nothing worse though when standing on the goal line on a corner and the first defender booting it clear and you're in one box and play is on the edge of the other box.
That's a seriously small pitch, or you're not reacting fast enough.

You should be able to spot the hoof coming and be ready to go with it.

That's a seriously small pitch, or you're not reacting fast enough.

You should be able to spot the hoof coming and be ready to go with it.
And not standing stationary on the line, but be moving around that area. Able to get back to line for goal/no goal or move out to get out the way or gte a better viewing angle to detect any offences.

And not standing stationary on the line, but be moving around that area. Able to get back to line for goal/no goal or move out to get out the way or gte a better viewing angle to detect any offences.
My personal preference position is on edge of area, side where the corner is taken, slowly making my way towards other side of D, facing kicker, watching for any potential infringements. If its an outswinger I tend to move just inside area, if it's an inswinger, I move in line of penalty spot towards back as I find a better view for offences and where the ball drops/goal line. But try not to get too close as a quick catch and release or a head out, chances are I'm still going to be close by.

Back