A&H

Open Age Added on time

Mada

An interesting situation towards the end of the match. I ref on a league with roll on roll off subs, in the second half one team used 5 and the other 3. There was a sin bin I had to deal with, a couple of stoppages for injuries, 2x yellow cards. I added on 3 and a half minutes. There was one goal in it and on the 90th minute a sin binned player returned to the field.

I got a lot of comments from the bench of the team winning for playing so much added on time. I’m very open with time and tell players and managers when they ask. Now I don’t know whether I didn’t hear or ignored the assistant manager but he was furious he wasn’t aware of how much time was due to be played as the other team pressed for an equaliser. I told everyone else who asked such as ”we are in added on time, 3 mins left“, “last minute” etc.

Within the last 30 seconds he was screaming that I was playing too much added on time, that I should be wearing the shirt of the opposition etc but I didn’t have a time to address this until after the game. I asked him for his name and he replied with a fake name in a sarcastic voice and got very aggressive towards me. Clear dissent. I approached the manager who was reasonable and told him if he doesn’t tell me his name then as the most senior individual he would take the caution he took one for the team so I cautioned him. No complaints.

The assistant again confronted me as I was packing up and asked me not to put through the card. He got aggressive again and blamed me for not openly telling everyone how long is left. This is step 7+ with CAR’s and no added time board. It’s my understanding that I am correct and while it’s best practice to tell players/management how long is left as that’s a reasonable thing to do, I don’t have an obligation to do so publically. It did make me laugh as someone else from the winning team confronted me in a more respectful way to tell me I was playing too much time, he was writing everything down in a notebook as if to somehow prove I was incorrect :D

What do we think?

The Referee Store
An interesting situation towards the end of the match. I ref on a league with roll on roll off subs, in the second half one team used 5 and the other 3. There was a sin bin I had to deal with, a couple of stoppages for injuries, 2x yellow cards. I added on 3 and a half minutes. There was one goal in it and on the 90th minute a sin binned player returned to the field.

I got a lot of comments from the bench of the team winning for playing so much added on time. I’m very open with time and tell players and managers when they ask. Now I don’t know whether I didn’t hear or ignored the assistant manager but he was furious he wasn’t aware of how much time was due to be played as the other team pressed for an equaliser. I told everyone else who asked such as ”we are in added on time, 3 mins left“, “last minute” etc.

Within the last 30 seconds he was screaming that I was playing too much added on time, that I should be wearing the shirt of the opposition etc but I didn’t have a time to address this until after the game. I asked him for his name and he replied with a fake name in a sarcastic voice and got very aggressive towards me. Clear dissent. I approached the manager who was reasonable and told him if he doesn’t tell me his name then as the most senior individual he would take the caution he took one for the team so I cautioned him. No complaints.

The assistant again confronted me as I was packing up and asked me not to put through the card. He got aggressive again and blamed me for not openly telling everyone how long is left. This is step 7+ with CAR’s and no added time board. It’s my understanding that I am correct and while it’s best practice to tell players/management how long is left as that’s a reasonable thing to do, I don’t have an obligation to do so publically. It did make me laugh as someone else from the winning team confronted me in a more respectful way to tell me I was playing too much time, he was writing everything down in a notebook as if to somehow prove I was incorrect :D

What do we think?
You play whatever extra you think is appropriate.
If you choose to answer officials and players when they ask, do not be precise as that causes issues.
The assistant manger's actions should be reported - both for his refusal to give his name and then his misconduct after the game, which is a separate offence. Less strong referees may accept his "Don't report it" if he is allowed to continue.
Well done!

Within the last 30 seconds he was screaming that I was playing too much added on time, that I should be wearing the shirt of the opposition etc but I didn’t have a time to address this until after the game.
I think this is something to make time for—and just add to the added time as needed. (Maybe even make a show of checking your watch or stopping it before you go over). To me, once the shirt comment comes out, that is a challenge to integrity. IMO that warrants stopping the game and at least cautioning.

I think this is something to make time for—and just add to the added time as needed. (Maybe even make a show of checking your watch or stopping it before you go over). To me, once the shirt comment comes out, that is a challenge to integrity. IMO that warrants stopping the game and at least cautioning.
Absolutely. Minimal interference maximum benefit and all that.
But this is one of those times to act.
Exactly. Point at the watch. YC the coach. Play the right amount of time.
Do not be intimidated.

And totally agree - always tell how much time is left when asked but never be too precise - “about”, “at least”, “minimum of”, “.,.of normal time...”

:)

I don’t think I explained that part very well. The ball was in play when he said it, the next time the ball went out of play was on my final whistle so that’s what I acted.

Stopping the game is a good suggestion, I’ll use that tip next time.

I would add, if you don't report this 'assistant' manager, both for his behavior during the game including questioning your integrity, and his approach after the game and having the audacity to ask you not to report, he will be doing it to the next referee as well. You must specifically report he has asked you not to report the caution.

Hypocrisy comes in many ways, on the one had he is accusing you of being corrupt (wearing other team shirt) and on the other hand he is asking you not to report a caution.

I've already put it through now. In the league report I mentioned why the manager was given a card rather than the manager but I didn't create an extraordinary report in wholegame, rather just a caution to the manager.

I don’t think I explained that part very well. The ball was in play when he said it, the next time the ball went out of play was on my final whistle so that’s what I acted.

Stopping the game is a good suggestion, I’ll use that tip next time.
I think in that situation I would have stopped the game to deal with the coach (obviously adjust accordingly if the ball is in a dangerous position or there is a promising attack) and then added the time that I'd taken to deal with him when play restarted.

You say above that you didn't submit an extraordinary report on Wholegame - his behaviour after the game in particular is something that I would suggest reporting to the FA as well as the league :)

Back