A&H

Advantage in the Penalty Area

John White

Level 7 Referee
What would you lot do in this situation?

Striker goes down in the area, a definite foul no question about it, but the ball breaks to another attacker. You decide to play advantage, as the ball is then crossed across goal to a team mate with an open goal, but he puts it wide.

Do you bring it back for the penalty, or just give a goal kick?

The Referee Store
For me, it's how long before they lose possession, if the lad had the ball for 5 or so seconds then crossed it then give a goal kick but if he crosses it straight away bring it back but make it clear why you've pulled it back, saying something like "foul by number x, no advantage"

So if it is crossed instantly, like a first time cross, bring it back for a penalty if they miss?

But if they take their time, just give a goal kick?

Yep same for me as aled, unless the striker is about to pull the trigger I would give the penalty because a penalty is more or less a goal anyway.

I'd go with Aled, unless the attacker has a better chance than a stationary ball 12 yds out and no defensive challenge then give the penalty.

To give the attacking team the best advantage in this case would probably be a penalty. You have a count of '3' before committing to the decision of penalty or advantage. If they haven't shot by the time I've reached two, then probably the best advantage I can give them is a penalty.

I remember one time I had a game where I played advantage in the box and the attacking team chipped it over the bar and completely missed, the manager was yelling for a penalty and throwing abuse at me because of it.

Since then I don't play advantage in the box, if I see a foul in the box by the defenders I just give a penalty.
It causes less argument than playing advantage..

I remember one time I had a game where I played advantage in the box and the attacking team chipped it over the bar and completely missed, the manager was yelling for a penalty and throwing abuse at me because of it.

Since then I don't play advantage in the box, if I see a foul in the box by the defenders I just give a penalty.
It causes less argument than playing advantage..

lol...I had it happen last season, hard low cross from the wing heading straight for forward, defender running back to his own goal line with a hand out behind him, ball hits hand and rebounds behind me.

As I am blowing, another attacker slams the rebound into the top corner.

To be fair, there were no complaints when I said "Sorry guys, I've given the penalty for handball'

Bugger went and skied the penalty over the bar!

Try your best to wait and see where the ball goes but 9/10 times I'd be looking to award the penalty straight away.

Two questions you should be asking yourself:

Would you rather miss a penalty in anticipation of an advantage that never happens?

Would you rather the ball went in the net after the whistle had gone and arguably everyone had stopped?

Bear in mind that stopping the game still gives the attacking team a chance to score a goal. If they manage to miss the penalty then complain to you the you could suggest swapping shirts with the player as they surely shouldn't be playing football if they can't score from 12 yards :p

I'm with Aled. Unless the fouled player's teammate is in front of goal, all alone with an empty net, call the penalty.

Back