A&H

Ampadu Red Card

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
We all happy with a red for Ampadu?

Perhaps I’m wrong but I only see that tackle as reckless rather than excessive force or SFP.

The Referee Store
It’s a very European red. Very late and nowhere near playing the ball. Here in the UK that’s a yellow all day.

In real time I agreed, thinking it was much higher than it was in reality.

Stupid challenge that didn’t need to be made.

It’s a very European red. Very late and nowhere near playing the ball. Here in the UK that’s a yellow all day.

I see. Thanks for the insight!

A bit like the penalty yesterday being borderline between careless and reckless IMO, I'd say the same for Ampadu, except borderline between reckless and SFP. Didn't see it in real time, first watch of a slo-mo replay I was thinking yellow, but slo-mo doesn't give a fair reflection of the force in the challenge.

I thought he took him full on the shin initially. It was more top of the foot, ankle area.

On UEFA's scale where 6 and 7 is a yellow, 9 and 10 is a red and 8 is that orange card territory I think it's an 8.5. If you ask me to blindly judge it not knowing the teams, score, or what the match is I say red. However, I think the players would have accepted and probably even expected a yellow there.

There have been a lot of similar challenges in the tournament that have just seen cautions, or in one case just a free kick. I think Hategan has overreacted, something I've long thought he is susceptible to.

Don't think VAR could get involved as it can't be called a clear and obvious error. Although I think had they asked to him to review he may well have downgraded to yellow as my guess is he thought the contact was much higher on the leg.

There have been a lot of similar challenges in the tournament that have just seen cautions, or in one case just a free kick. I think Hategan has overreacted, something I've long thought he is susceptible to.
I think they're similar in terms of where the studs made contact, but I think the speed and force of this was was noticeably higher than those couple given as PKs and yellows. But my opinion from my post above stands.

When I first saw it, I thought yellow. After watching the replay, I do think the force is excessive. It’s low, but I think the level of force is what swayed me from yellow to red

One of them, looks justifiably red after they've slowed it down and shown the freeze frames. Doubt I'd have given Red, but no surprise there

That's how I see it also, does not make the red card wrong mind, I can see why in real time he has shown a red card but I would not argue against a yellow being shown either.

Back