A&H

Announcement for Feb 21 (virtual) Terry Vaughn Referee Academy

RefIADad

RefChat Addict

Each year, the State of Iowa's referee committee hosts the Terry Vaughn Referee Academy. The event is moving to a virtual format this year, being held from 3 PM to 9:30 PM London time (9 AM to 3:30 PM Chicago/US Central time) this Sunday, February 21st. All of the registration information is in the link above, and the event is free to attend.

Terry is Iowa's first FIFA referee and was a veteran Major League Soccer referee before Huntington's Disease forced him to retire. This article provides much more detail about Terry and why so many referees in the United States wear blue wristbands when we officiate. From personal experience, Terry has always been a very positive influence on referees in the US and Iowa. One of my career highlights was when he coached/assessed me in a college search event. Had he told me running through a brick wall would help me referee better, I might have done that after his feedback session. :)

This year's event has current MLS referee and new FIFA referee Tori Penso (who centered three MLS matches last season, becoming the first female to lead a MLS referee crew in over 20 years), Tori's husband and fellow MLS referee Chris Penso, Canadian FIFA and MLS referee Drew Fischer, and former FIFA referee Sandra Serafini. We currently have over 400 people from around the United States registered, but this year provides the chance for some international representation.

The Referee Store
Back