A&H

Another weekend...another VAR thread

The Referee Store
Taking a break from a long forum sabbatical to post.

In what world is that not a penalty? Misses the ball and stands on Silva's foot.

If VAR isn't going to step in for errors as clear as that (and I can totally understand Marriner not seeing it), then why bother? I know my judgement is somewhat clouded by the fact that VAR has been a disaster in City's games so far this season, but in its current form it simply doesn't work.

This Man City claim for a penalty has to go down as a VAR failure. Whilst I'm appreciative of the the PGMOL's approach to VAR, I think this was a black or white call and therefore a C&O error. That said, generally speaking, I still prefer the high bar approach we're seeing in the EPL to the nonsense we've seen around the ROTW

VAR this weekend from what I've seen (there might be more?)

Martial denied a penalty.

City denied a clear penalty.

Spurs denied a penalty. Although Kane went down too easily which probably didn't help with his diving reputation.

Sanchez not sent off for pulling back Newcastle player who was through on goal. Ref and lino didn't even give the foul. Was clearly an error.

I don't get what's going on. Seems to help in some matches and others its like they were on a coffee break.

VAR this weekend from what I've seen (there might be more?)

Martial denied a penalty.

City denied a clear penalty.

Spurs denied a penalty. Although Kane went down too easily which probably didn't help with his diving reputation.

Sanchez not sent off for pulling back Newcastle player who was through on goal. Ref and lino didn't even give the foul. Was clearly an error.

I don't get what's going on. Seems to help in some matches and others its like they were on a coffee break.
SPA for me

Seems like England is trying to enforce the incredibly high standard that was first pitched with VAR. But that train has left the station and the world has set the standard for var intervention. The Premier League refs just look stupid now enforcing a standard that no one expects.

The Premier League refs just look stupid now enforcing a standard that no one expects
They were always going to do this, because they listen to what the clubs, players and fans want. Sometimes a backward step is needed to move forward. 'Premier League refs' set the highest of standards. They don't look stupid for pishing on a fire that's gotten outa hand from day 1

Beat Sanchez and through on goal. Only reason Sanchez recovered was because he pulled him back. Why did Sanchez pull him back? Coz no one else would have got to him.
Don't get me wrong, from a player's perspective this was a DOGSO and rightly should've been. However, it would have been the wrong decision because it was on half way and therefore failed to meet the criteria. So we both disagree with the guidelines, but under those teachings, it was SPA

Last edited:
I can understand why the ref might not have seen it, from his angle and full speed, it's wasn't obvious it was a foul until the showed the VAR footage.

What exactly are they using as the definition of a clear and obvious error?

To me the balance between the threshold to disallow a goal is far far to high compared to that to give a penalty.

I can understand why the ref might not have seen it, from his angle and full speed, it's wasn't obvious it was a foul until the showed the VAR footage.

What exactly are they using as the definition of a clear and obvious error?
When they send egg fried rice instead of that special fried stuff to the VAR hut !!! Schoolboy errors!!

VAR kept Salah on his feet in the Liverpool-Arsenal game.

For all the criticism he got last season for going to ground under the slightest tight on his shirt, he stayed up under the huge pull from Luiz. Confident it would be picked up with just an appeal?

VAR kept Salah on his feet in the Liverpool-Arsenal game.

For all the criticism he got last season for going to ground under the slightest tight on his shirt, he stayed up under the huge pull from Luiz. Confident it would be picked up with just an appeal?
I thought the same.

Back