A&H

Anthony Taylor

The Referee Store
Why not ?

It was my opinion on his performance.

I watched it and whilst it wasn't his best performance he was still almost certainly better than anyone on this forum would have been.

Would you like it if someone described one of your performances online as effing abysmal? Or if I came to observe you and put that in the report instead of something constructive?

I watched it and whilst it wasn't his best performance he was still almost certainly better than anyone on this forum would have been.

Would you like it if someone described one of your performances online as effing abysmal? Or if I came to observe you and put that in the report instead of something constructive?

So he should be better than anybody else on this forum, he’s paid a huge amount of money to what he does, you and I should be better at our jobs than Anthony Taylor would be.

So he should be better than anybody else on this forum, he’s paid a huge amount of money to what he does, you and I should be better at our jobs than Anthony Taylor would be.

he is also refereeing players of which nearly any chosen one of them prob earns as much in a week as the combined total of every regular poster on here!!
everything is relative....us at grass roots referee players playing for nothing and we get 40/50 quid? means nothing

Reactions: JH
Keeping in mind that I can't broadcast anything sensitive from Anthony Taylor's RA presentation, I can divulge some of what was discussued
1) Most importantly, @PinnerPaul & I were cleaned up in the raffle with several thousand calories worth of chocolate now in our possession
2) AT did admit to it being difficult switching between the EPL & EFL and has since blocked (my inference) @Sheffields Finest across all Social Media
3) AT referred to some differences between refereeing in England compared with around the world. As a nation, we were alone in condemning the HB decision in the WC Final. Our interpretation of HB is different from all other countries. On average, there are just over 20 fouls per game in the EPL, as compared to 40+ in the Serie A (guess which league makes for better viewing). The Clubs and LMA have some influence over how games are officiated on a seasonal basis. The PGMOL work with other these other bodies and also meet with the players in the summer for training and feedback sessions
4) If a decision (like Kompany on Salah) splits opinion, the EPL tends to conclude that the correct sanction was yellow
5) AT emphasised how overall communication is the most important skill of being a referee, along with the ability to succinctly explain decisions based on sound knowledge of the LOTG
6) There was some discussion on how the standard of observers varies greatly and the near impossible challenge of marrying good observations with favourable Club Marks
7) Some of the interjections by those in attendance left me seriously wondering if those contributors were indeed referees!
As a disclaimer, I'm not quoting anything above from AT. This is all subject to my own misinterpretation

Keeping in mind that I can't broadcast anything sensitive from Anthony Taylor's RA presentation, I can divulge some of what was discussued
1) Most importantly, @PinnerPaul & I were cleaned up in the raffle with several thousand calories worth of chocolate now in our possession
2) AT did admit to it being difficult switching between the EPL & EFL and has since blocked (my inference) @Sheffields Finest across all Social Media
3) AT referred to some differences between refereeing in England compared with around the world. As a nation, we were alone in condemning the HB decision in the WC Final. Our interpretation of HB is different from all other countries. On average, there are just over 20 fouls per game in the EPL, as compared to 40+ in the Serie A (guess which league makes for better viewing). The Clubs and LMA have some influence over how games are officiated on a seasonal basis. The PGMOL work with other these other bodies and also meet with the players in the summer for training and feedback sessions
4) If a decision (like Kompany on Salah) splits opinion, the EPL tends to conclude that the correct sanction was yellow
5) AT emphasised how overall communication is the most important skill of being a referee, along with the ability to succinctly explain decisions based on sound knowledge of the LOTG
6) There was some discussion on how the standard of observers varies greatly and the near impossible challenge of marrying good observations with favourable Club Marks
7) Some of the interjections by those in attendance left me seriously wondering if those contributors were indeed referees!
As a disclaimer, I'm not quoting anything above from AT. This is all subject to my own misinterpretation

No comment:mute:;)

Just to expand a bit on point 3)
It must be difficult to transition between the EPL and the Champions League (based on the discussion), the foul and HB recognition are quite different
Also, on point 4)
This reinforced how I sanction offences. I always er towards the lessor sanction. For penalties awards, I want greater certainty than elsewhere on the FOP. Likewise for sanctions, I'm looking for guilt in the absence of significant doubt

There was also a brief discussion on how there can be occasions when the wrong decision in Law has a better outcome
In my last game, a GK showed aggression towards an opponent (who was on the deck). I blew my whistle and rushed in between, which had the desired effect of preventing a big deal. The correct action (LOTG) should have been YC USB AA with an IFK on the edge of the GA. However, absolutely nobody expected this and it would have caused chaos. So I pretended the player on the deck was injured and unnecessarily called the trainer on so I could restart with a dropped ball, GK in possession. Game on, LOTG calamity avoided
(I also had another incident in the same game, for which i chose the wrong restart, but we don't talk about these things!)

Last edited:
There was also a brief discussion on how there can be occasions when the wrong decision in Law has a better outcome
In my last game, a GK showed aggression towards an opponent (who was on the deck). I blew my whistle and rushed in between, which had the desired effect of preventing a big deal. The correct action (LOTG) should have been YC USB AA with an IFK on the edge of the GA. However, absolutely nobody expected this and it would have caused chaos. So I pretended the player on the deck was injured and unnecessarily called the trainer on so I could restart with a dropped ball, GK in possession. Game on, LOTG calamity avoided
(I also had another incident in the same game, for which i chose the wrong restart, but we don't talk about these things!)

Whilst I'd say you're correct in that, would an observer agree?

Whilst I'd say you're correct in that, would an observer agree?
Maybe, if i blagged it as described. Otherwise, no
Just taught me the dangers of using the whistle while the ball is in play in the PA (if i'm not intent on seeing the consequences through)

Do all EPL referees offer these special classes and visits?

As per the above conversation with Ciley - I'm guessing they are contractual.

Given that Mr T lives in Manchester, was at Everton the night before having to travel to London. He said he was going back home afterwards and he is at Southampton tonight - I can't imagine his attendance was 100% voluntary!

The society chairman did say it was extremely difficult finding a suitable date and as Mr T is also a FIFA referee, you can understand that.

Suppose this is a good place to post that, Taylor doing some shift this week? Everton Sunday afternoon, whatever conference last night and now Southampton (possibly going to extra time etc) tonight.....fair bit of travelling if nothing else?

Back