A&H

Any decent referee books?

jacklad

Level 8 Referee
Can anyone recommend a decent book about refereeing or related to officiating in any way?

Just finished Mark Halsey's book which was a good read but more based on his battle and experience with Cancer, as you'd expect.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The Referee Store
Enjoyed reading Collinas book, I also enjoyed reading Graham Polls although was never a fan of him as a referee

Jeff Winter's book, "Who's the B*****d in the Black", is a pretty good read.

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Man-Bla...=1413650394&sr=8-11&keywords=the+referee+book

Very interesting book (and buying it used for 1p?? bargain!)

Halseys, Winters and Polls are all worth a read. The 2 books by Elleray can be given a miss as they are boring in the extreme.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-Ref...qid=1413650544&sr=8-1&keywords=art+refereeing

While bits of this book are out of date (laws for offside etc), it is on the whole a great book which aims to improve the skills of the reader.

There's a couple of documentaries on YouTube worth a watch too.
For someone with sod-all money to spend on sheets of paper, can you link me to these? Only one I can find is Kill the Referee (which I've seen about 6 times now!)

For someone with sod-all money to spend on sheets of paper, can you link me to these? Only one I can find is Kill the Referee (which I've seen about 6 times now!)

About Martin Hansson, the Sweedish ref I believe who made a mistake in Paris and the repructions that followed.

Reactions: SM
Just before I started my course last year I received a book called You Are The Ref.
A big book with lots of scenarios that could potentially happen (some of them are very unlikely) Overall, very good and correct way to deal with the scenarios is given upside-down next to them.

Just don't bother with the phone app - it is riddled with inaccuracies and issues.

It'll ask you a question, provide options for your answer and then add a little extra and essential info after you have got it wrong, just to frustrate. Then sometimes it is just plain wrong.

Just don't bother with the phone app - it is riddled with inaccuracies and issues.

It'll ask you a question, provide options for your answer and then add a little extra and essential info after you have got it wrong, just to frustrate. Then sometimes it is just plain wrong.
Second this, had me questioning my own knowledge of the game for a while, only helpful for clueless people to talk about something they found out in the pub

My favourite refereeing book is definitely the Laws of the Game by FIFA. I have read it easily a dozen times cover-to-cover. ;)

Back