A&H

Anyone here suffer from shin splints ?

A

AndyW

Its appears I suffer quite badly with shin splints but I do not want to stop refereeing. Does anyone here suffer from shin splints and is there anything I can get to stop the pain or atleast dull it ? Thanks alot

The Referee Store
All the people i know that suffer from shin splints pretty much stop everything. Apparently rest is the only cure for them.

I used to but found the problem was my footwear. JJB have caught on to this as they now offer a foot type checking service in store. It sounds odd and grand but is actually based on hard science. There are generally to foot types - those with a high arch like myself, and those with a lower flat "normal" foot.

You are tested by standing on a mirror and then looking at the heat print that sits on there. A high arch is marked by a narrow band betwenn the front pad and the heel. If you have this type you need a cushioning running shoe, or boots. Cusioned insoles can help too.

If you have a wide band between the pads yours is a "normal" foot and you require a stability shoe. Again insoles are available, and there are specific training shoes that are marked stability.

This not only eased the splints but also eased the knee pain I got when road-running as part of my pre-season training. Worth a look.

Ross has given you the cure, I have the prevention. ;)

OUCH, the worst thing a ref can get-Shin splints and the cure is worse , REST REST REST. which means no games :(.
Ice packs go some way to ease , but only shorterm. Sorry.

If you have indeed got shin splints, my suggestion, rest, rest, and rest some more

I suffered with really bad shin splints at the start of the season and came upon some tips to getting rid of them (and still refereeing!)

purchase some calf guard compression (do a search on amazon). I wear them during the game (or any other running based exercise), during the shower post match and leave them on for a couple of hours afterwards. I paid £15 for the pair and they have lasted all season and are still in good shape. As an unexpected bonus I tuck the top of the sock into them and it holds the sock perfectly in place.

secondly, I found an exercise to build strength around the shin. Basically (1) walk on your tip toes (well on front pads of foot) for around 30 steps (2) without stopping switch to walking on the ball of your heel for another 30. Keep switching back and forth. I was just doing it whenever the chance arose, doing it everyday. Also added it to my prematch warm up in the changing room.

since starting the above the shin splints are gone. Aplogies for reviving an old thread but I hated having shin splints and though this might be of use.

Back