A&H

appointed to a last match of league where one participant may be relegated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonknz

Last kickoff of the day, so they may be relegated prior to kickoff, or in the hunt to stay up. Would you find out the results of the other match prior to kickoff, or avoid knowing?

The Referee Store
Last kickoff of the day, so they may be relegated prior to kickoff, or in the hunt to stay up. Would you find out the results of the other match prior to kickoff, or avoid knowing?
If you know you have a meaningless game that just needs to reach 90, you can afford to take it a little easier, be more light-hearted and focus on making the game enjoyable for everybody.

If you know you have a game that needs a result and one or both will be fighting for it, you have to be on top from the start to keep the respect and rapport with players and manage the game to avoid a bloodbath.
If you don't know which one it is until near 15 minutes in, you're always behind the game and you face an uphill battle to fix things.

Unlike some who blithely ignore context and the effect it has on a decision or on a match, you should be well aware of what the result of the game might mean for the teams as part of your preparation.

IUnlike some who blithely ignore context and the effect it has on a decision or on a match, you should be well aware of what the result of the game might mean for the teams as part of your preparation.

Ref what's in front of you not any possible outcome, forget this 90% stuff malarkey, bring your A game to every game and you won't go far wrong!!!

I used to love these games, the theatre, the drama, the ramifications, all of these never changed what i turned up to do though....Refs shouldn't ever care about results!!

One of the elements that referees get marked on as they go up through the ranks relates to adjusting to the temperature of the game. Any insights as to whether the game is a "dead rubber" or not can help you to anticipate and be able to proactively address any potential issues.

However its a fine balance between doing this and going in with a specific mindset. I've had crunch games where both teams have behaved impeccably and likewise "dead rubbers" where its descended into farce.

Forewarned is forearmed.

In the same way that I look at a team's discipline record on Full Time before a match or where they both are in the league before I referee them, I'd make myself aware of any situation that might realistically impact upon the emotions and reactions of the players and/or coaching staff during a game I'm in charge of. Why wouldn't you? :)

Here is a question to make a point. Game result (for this game in OP) is 5-0 at 90 minutes. You have timed about 6 minutes of added time untill then. How long added time do you play?

One of the elements that referees get marked on as they go up through the ranks relates to adjusting to the temperature of the game. Any insights as to whether the game is a "dead rubber" or not can help you to anticipate and be able to proactively address any potential issues.

However its a fine balance between doing this and going in with a specific mindset. I've had crunch games where both teams have behaved impeccably and likewise "dead rubbers" where its descended into farce.
Agreed, and it's for this reason I don't tend to do pre-match research any more (beyond essentials like league rules obviously). It's all well and good saying that you need to go into some matches prepared to have a tight leash, but the flip side of this is that it's then very hard to avoid underestimating an "easy" match and finding yourself letting too much slide and struggling to reign it back in.

Much better in my opinion to turn up, be observant and respond to what's going on with consistency.

I've a match tonight

i've researched both teams, even though it's only the 2nd game of the season it's a local derby

i've also researched my observer

i think it's foolish not to do both, whatever info you glean may prove useless but it may give you that extra 1% to help control the game and/or get that extra 0.25 of a mark

I used to love the 1v2 games too, same reasons, something is going to happen you know it! Pressure, pressure, I loved being in the middle of that!

Forewarned is forearmed.

In the same way that I look at a team's discipline record on Full Time before a match or where they both are in the league before I referee them, I'd make myself aware of any situation that might realistically impact upon the emotions and reactions of the players and/or coaching staff during a game I'm in charge of. Why wouldn't you? :)
Strangely, the only difficult games I've encountered, are those which I thought would be a breeze

Here is a question to make a point. Game result (for this game in OP) is 5-0 at 90 minutes. You have timed about 6 minutes of added time untill then. How long added time do you play?

I've seen referees add zero
I've seen a referee who didn't and the game was abandoned in injury time (a mass fight which rumbled on for 10 minutes, police, ambulance the lot)
Player & spectator safety is more important that law, so I'm in the car by 90:30

Strangely, the only difficult games I've encountered, are those which I thought would be a breeze

I learned quite a while ago that complacency will put you on your arse in this game. ;)

I always plan for the worst - hope for the best. The same goes for every match I referee ... :):cool:

Remember that even the innocuous matches only take a minor flashpoint to blow up in your face..........been there.......

Agreed, conversely, I've had games that I thought were pretty easy only to be told afterwards, by observers or other referees etc, that I did will to keep a difficult game under control.

I see no problem with 'researching' games but as others have said 'easy' games can easily turn difficult and 'hard' games easy.

Happened to me loads of times.

Agree--I think especially for newer refs who thin "I've got this one, it will be easy" and may not ratchet up fast enough to control when it isn't what they expected.

I completely agree it is helpful to have information, and also that we have to be careful about not using that to prejudge. It can be a fine line.

My highest ever card count games took part in friendlies that i thought would be a breeze!!!

Mass Confrontation, 18 man brawl, 5 retrospective bans, Ambulance on pitch, 2 Sine die.....just a kick about to blow some cobwebs up they said!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back