A&H

AR Observation - Harsh?

After checking the posiiton of the ball you are supposed to move to the 18 yard line and wait until the ball leaves the penalty area before running to the second last defender...

Not here.
Ok with where ball is?
Get to the second last defender.

As per, your area/country might be educated different

The Referee Store
Having said all that there is a growing groundswell of opinion that the current competencies for ARs at Contrib and Supply are not correctly aligned.

Most definitively agreed.....

At Supply League, there is normally little involvement by the AR other than for offsides and ball in/out.

having been an assistant for numerous years on supply and the last 5 on contrib (and having been assessed by several contributors to this thread) i have never been asked to check goal kicks from the 6 yard line by a ref and have never been pulled up for it by an assessor, and wouldn't expect to be either.

Might be an obvious question, but what are we actually checking for?

The good book says: “The ball must be stationary and kicked from any point within the goal area”

Does this mean that the ball can be almost completely outside the goal area, as long as part of it is on the six yard line (the analogy I’m thinking of here is a corner kick - much easier to check as AR - most of the time the ball is almost entirely outside the arc, but just touching it.)

Am on the line again tonight, just want to check I’ve been doing it right all season!

Basically, we’re just checking the keeper is taking the pi$$ and stealing an extra yard or two, right?

Its as good as window dressing
You could easy for a whole season and never have to correct a goalie placing the ball

Common practise, stay back for the first one, and if all good, if gk taking them. get yourself to the 2nd last defender from then on in, by all means glancing to goalie just to make sure ball is in the 6

Edit 1. Am assuming this is the punt up the park if its a wee short one, we need hold position to make sure ball comes out the 18

Edit2 if outfield player taking, and ball is good, your position is the 18, as the kicker will then come out with the kick, thus playing everybody onside when the ball comes out of the 18

Better add aswell before someone ultra picky does, bear in mind the ball might go out to a defender say, 6 yards from goaline...so clearly we stand in line with him (2nd last defender)

Miss a retake with ball a shoelace over line, or miss the offside from the header back towards goal from the kick?

No contest

Last edited:
You could easy for a whole season and never have to correct a goalie placing the ball

A bit field dependent--fields with poor lines or multiple sports markings are the ones where it tends to come up in the real world. But I agree on a field with clear lines, it's usually a pretty obvious thing, and not really something that you see people trying to get cute with.

A bit field dependent--fields with poor lines or multiple sports markings are the ones where it tends to come up in the real world. But I agree on a field with clear lines, it's usually a pretty obvious thing, and not really something that you see people trying to get cute with.

Of course someone in Exeter is going to say otherwise, but, I really cant recall the last time as AR I have had to shout to gk to put the ball in the six.
if anything as referee I can only think of times where maybe the gk thought they were getting a fk just outside the 6 yet I have given a goal kick, so maybe then they had the ball a yard out of the 6 and needed a shout to put it back but really, if we are having issues with the taking of a goal kick, then you are very much in the minority.

I've never understood the need to stand adjacent to the 6/18 yard lines to check for the ball position. On the rare occasions that I referee on a pitch with clear markings, it's quite clear from near the hakf way line whether the ball leaves the 18 yard box or not. The receivers feet tell you that. If it's just outside the 6 yard line on a goal kick nobodies bothered. It's no different to a free kick in that respect. If it's a yard from the line then you can see it from anywhere. For me the AR is better off just being by the 2nd last defender at all times imo

if your standing half way and the ball is going short, your screwed for the next passage in play !!

Reffing with no ARs I have a look at at the first goal kicks and then you know the best position based on the capability of the keepers and the likehood of the defence wanting it short. You know that during the warm up to be honest. Very few play it short at dog and duck. I'm 35 but I'm quicker than almost all the players at the level I referee at (which is generally pretty poor). I've seen 2 keepers this year who can't take a goal kick :/

Back