A&H

AR offside positioning and flagging

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
When AR, I am usually working with good refs, good communication generally, good wait and see communication with offsides. I am trying to get better across the board. This week I learned that if you don't get out of the way you get your toes trodden on!

But also I am questioning my positioning for offside calls. With balls over the top - if there is a clear offside and an attacker and keeper might come together it is easy to flag early. With balls over the top into the corners, if there is an attacker obviously going to play the ball soon, I notice that I stop and stay at the original offside position and then flag when he/she plays the ball etc. - rather than keep up with the ball. When both teams are expecting the flag this seems to aid match control and also means I (AR) am at the right place to signal for the resulting IDFK.

The question is this:
- Am I doing this "wrong" - should the AR always keep up with the ball in every offside wait and see situation, even the obvious "attacker is obviously going to play the ball" ones?

...And if so how do handle the signalling - the AR should signal at the point when the player becomes active, right, and not make any subsequent movement, back to be parallel to the location of the IDFK (fully aware that this will change next season).

The Referee Store
Being a good AR myself if obviously is offside from a long ball and goes for it just give it makes it easy for you referee and the teams

Follow the ball, if the player decides he isn't going for that ball and doesn't interfere, then you're now in the wrong position.

If it looks like a close challenge with the keeper from an offside player is imminent, flag that one early. Stop the challenge.

If he's running for a ball that's heading to the corner - you can flag early if it's certain he's going to be actively involved with play (and don't forget, if he's crossed the path of a defender and caused him to change his pace, that's active offside!). If there's a possibility of another player getting to it first or it going out, you're stuck with running with the ball.

Follow the ball, if the player decides he isn't going for that ball and doesn't interfere, then you're now in the wrong position.
Why would he be? He'd be level with the ball which is the correct position.

Why would he be? He'd be level with the ball which is the correct position.
If however he stayed in line with the player's position at the time of the playing of ball, in readiness for flagging, he would not be anywhere near correct position.
The punctuation could have been better, i.e. used at all, but Grug is correct.

Back