A&H

Are we being far too generous to England players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly that sums us up as a nation, people now see beating Sweden as an achievement that’s how low it’s got in recent years.

It’s comical it really is, Walker cost more than the entire Sweden starting XI put together & yet we should all be over the moon bouncing off the walls with joy at beating them.

It would have been an achievement if we had got to the final, yes you could look back and say what a journey what a World Cup BUT nope we flopped we blew it. So the highlight was beating a third rate nation in the quarters? Forgive me if I don’t get a England 2-0 Sweden tattoo anytime soon.

Does it matter who Chelsea beat in the 1/4s en route to winning the FA Cup last season??

The Referee Store
Does it matter who Chelsea beat in the 1/4s en route to winning the FA Cup last season??

Does it matter who France beat to reach the World Cup Final..

Argentina
Uruguay
Belgium

Hell yeah print on a t shirt celebrate the journey!!

We beat Sweden in the quarters then got knocked out who cares, as I said if we’re clinging onto beating Sweden as an achievement then Jesus it’s worse than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
We beat Sweden in the quarters then got knocked out who cares, as I said if we’re clinging onto beating Sweden as an achievement then Jesus it’s worse than I thought.
As I previously said, you're dismissing a Swedish TEAM who (regardless of the perceived value of their players) had in the previous two years beaten France, Holland, Italy and Germany in World Cup matches. How many other football superpowers did they need to beat to get a modicum of respect from you?!?

As I previously said, you're dismissing a Swedish TEAM who (regardless of the perceived value of their players) had in the previous two years beaten France, Holland, Italy and Germany in World Cup matches. How many other football superpowers did they need to beat to get a modicum of respect from you?!?

I lost all respect for anything to do with England a long time ago, unfortunately unlike club football I didn’t get a choice of what nationality i am.

Great to win the penalty shoot out & get past a disgusting Colombia.

Great performance against Sweden who as you say pipped some decent sides to get there, the one unanimous verdict after that Sweden game from pundits & fans was how on gods earth did they beat Holland & Italy to the finals in the first place.

After such a comfortable quarters & considering Croatia scraped through two extra times & pens to get to the semi’s we blew it.

All of what we achieved would only have been worth it had we got to the final.

It’ll always be remembered for what it could have been & not what it was (In my opinion of course) I won’t be telling the grand kids how amazing we did in 2018 I’ll just say it was the best chance in my life time with the route we had & we managed to choke in the semis.

Big Sam would have got past Croatia I’m sure of that.

Southgate just another yes man that learns his script before the press conferences, he got lucky getting the job he got lucky with the draw & will live off it forever that he got us to a semi (I actually don’t begrudge him living off this semi final as he’s lived with missing that pen for the last 22yrs).

He coudnt inspire an old people's home to play bingo, dour human being.

Peter forget your rankings if you based every target or performance or England campaign on Fifa rankings you would end up looking silly,
In my post, I said, "whether official FIFA ranking or any subjective assessment" so I was quite clearly not basing my arguments solely on the FIFA ranking system. Let me just reiterate the point I was trying to make (though obviously, not clearly enough) - whatever method you care to use, I don't think anyone would or could claim that England are one of the two best (or even four best) teams in the world. That being the case, I don't think you can take reaching the semi-final as evidence of choking - as others have said, if anything it is an over-achievement.

I have to say, you seem to be taking this way too seriously - it's almost as if England's failure to reach the final was some kind of personal insult directed at you. Ever since I watched my first World Cup in 1966, for me England's expected level at every World Cup I've ever seen (including that one) was more or less to reach the quarter finals. So it's only if they don't make it that far, that I'm disappointed. Anything beyond the quarters is gravy, as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back