A&H

Are you having a good game.......

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
If you have a game where you have no YC or RC are you in control ?or just two good teams who want to play football? What about 3 games in a row with no cards? I like to think i'm doing my job to the best of my ability.

The Referee Store
Or you've missed 4 horror tackles and a bunch of abuse! Haha. Only joking. I remember someone said that card Are to be resorted to and not the first resort so it may say that you are controlling the game effectively enough to nip things in the bud! Which in my book is part of good match control!

Or you've missed 4 horror tackles and a bunch of abuse! Haha. Only joking. I remember someone said that card Are to be resorted to and not the first resort so it may say that you are controlling the game effectively enough to nip things in the bud! Which in my book is part of good match control!
;);)

A good game is when you show the cards that are needed, not when you show no cards
So if your games didn't need any cards, good
if your games needed some cards and you didn't show them, not so good

A good referee should be able to do whatever he can to keep a match under control while minimising the use of cards where possible without ignoring the LOTG, but he should also not be afraid to issue ten cards in a match if needed.

It's good if you know that you're refereeing and talking to players influenced them to keep them away from cards, particularly if they were pushing it.

If you are worried you aren't producing enough cards then start booking randomly ... I say booking as once you given someone a yellow card for nothing, they'll get the ump and start to row with you ... Then there is your red card offence lol

3 games is far too small a test to make any conclusions. I will say any OA ref that over a season averaging less than one card (the majority I bet) and referees in anything other than the local church league isn't doing his job.
Don't be one of those refs that think cos they've handed out no cards they're great "man managers"... they're not, the players are laughing at them in the changing room.
Do not overuse the stepped approach. It doesn't mean a player gets to commit 3 cautionable offences before getting a YC.
Do not attempt to "manage" clear dissent. It is a caution and must be greeted with a YC be it 9th or 89th minute.

Whether or not I show cards is irrelevant to how I feel a game went. If I come off pitch and Im still smiling, then ive had a good one, none of us are perfect we will miss the odd foul or throw in the wrong way, but I tend to go into a match with the mindset that if I focus on the offsides, the fouls tend to take care of themselves, follow your instinct. Communicate with the players, have a laugh, a bit of banter, good game or bad Enjoy it

I judge how good a game I've had by how ignored I am at the end. If I hear no one mention the ref as I'm getting my bag then I've had a cracker. If both managers say good gsme and shake my hand then essentially I've probably had the greatest game of all time and deserve to ref the World Cup final!

I judge how good a game I've had by how ignored I am at the end. If I hear no one mention the ref as I'm getting my bag then I've had a cracker. If both managers say good gsme and shake my hand then essentially I've probably had the greatest game of all time and deserve to ref the World Cup final!

No matter how good my game is, players will always find something to complain about. If nothing else, it is the amount of added time that wasn't sufficient.. :-P

I think if we are honest with ourselves we will know whether we have had a good game. The amount of cards shown is irrelevant. Always control the game with honesty and integrity, and take action when it is needed.

@Morten i had my first 0-0 on Sunday. Really tight game, only one shot on target. No problems at all. Both tew,s fine. I blow for full time and the home team moaning they were on the attack and robbed them of a goal! They had two of them attacking, inside their own half and the defending team had about 6 players back!

DaveMac said:
@Morten i had my first 0-0 on Sunday. Really tight game, only one shot on target. No problems at all. Both tew,s fine. I blow for full time and the home team moaning they were on the attack and robbed them of a goal! They had two of them attacking, inside their own half and the defending team had about 6 players back!

And you blew for full time? That's a red for the ref surely? DOGSO?

Innit! I wouldn't have minded if they were attacking with any sort of purpose, but they were moving forward at pretty mucha walk. Plus they hadn't mustered a shot all game, I didn't see a classic counter attack before my very eyes!

Then again it's like when you give a freekick 30 yards out and the player will moan saying you should have played advantage like they were going to channel the skills of zidane and blast one into the top corner!

I have blown for full time just as the attacker was about to shoot(just outside box) he said to me "you could have at least let me shoot" my reply was "you've had your 45 minutes ". His team won 4-0 anyway.....

Had a cup game a few months back, away team losing 2-1 so the keeper came up for a corner. Home team clear it and I blow for full time. Literally all their players and spectators moaned I robbed them of a third goal. Like it made any difference!

Back