A&H

At half time. Who’s responsibility is it to take care of the ball?

newref

At half time who should take the ball and look after it? Or can you just leave it on the centre spot on its own?

The Referee Store
The referee, i.e. you. I once assessed a referee who left the ball on the centre spot at half time, some local kids nicked it and they didn't have a suitable spare ball, had to borrow one from a neighbouring pitch.

The referee, i.e. you. I once assessed a referee who left the ball on the centre spot at half time, some local kids nicked it and they didn't have a suitable spare ball, had to borrow one from a neighbouring pitch.
Lol yeah that really would be a blunder. So as an assessor what do you look out for from the start to the finish?

At half time who should take the ball and look after it? Or can you just leave it on the centre spot on its own?

To be honest, I never ever used to concern myself with it. I'd simply walk off the field if the changing rooms were close, or just remain on the field if that was what the players were doing. The ball would stay in the centre spot in readiness for the 2nd half. In recent seasons though, I've taken to retrieving the ball myself and either "guarding" it or taking it back to the changing room with me. It's the home clubs responsibility to provide the match balls but it just makes things easier if you adopt care and control of it once the match has begun. ;):)

Back