A&H

Aurora Hearts v Toronto Golden Eagles

The Referee Store
Some sneaky stuff there that very few officials would have seen. Looked an awful standard of skill in the first place and I actually felt sorry for him a bit.

How many times does one have to consult with one's CAR (assuming CARs) in a crisis? 😆 The other CAR was wearing a hoodie! Good luck with that
The referees (in these clips from the U.S.) consistently flash their cards in vague directions or right in the face of their recipient

@Sheffields Finest " actually felt sorry for him a bit "
Yes, unlikely he'd have continued officiating for long after that experience. Poor chap

Last edited:
How many times does one have to consult with one's CAR in a crisis? 😆
The referees (in these clips from the U.S.) consistently flash their cards in vague directions or right in the face of their recipient

@Sheffields Finest " actually felt sorry for him a bit "
Yes, unlikely he'd have continued officiating for long after that experience. Poor chap
In the sense of usually a tackle or something kicks something off and you can probably identify them with shirts, with this a lot of his problems come from off the ball sly stuff away from his or probably his ARs eyes.

In the sense of usually a tackle or something kicks something off and you can probably identify them with shirts, with this a lot of his problems come from off the ball sly stuff away from his or probably his ARs eyes.
The incident on 8 minutes stems from missing a reckless tackle in the 'Third Penalty Area' (my new buzz term). The journey is turbulent throughout, not the best time to miss a lunge and retaliatory trip (on 20). The pilot in yellow battles an aircraft in a nosedive, with only enough skill to prolong the agony

Last edited:
the thing on 8 mins isnt helped, despite getting the right decision, by all the players knowing he didnt see it!

How many times does one have to consult with one's CAR (assuming CARs) in a crisis? 😆 The other CAR was wearing a hoodie! Good luck with that

Hoodie excepted, the near side assistant was wearing official kit so I suspect he is probably an appointed NAR. Given his attire I at first assumed the far side assistant was a CAR but as he demonstrated at least a bit of discipline and authority I wonder if he was also an appointed NAR just well wrapped up against the weather.

So bored just watched till the end wow....think white 9 got away with loads, my card count would have kept the local FA xmas party going all season! Poor refereeing, either a very bad day at the office or just out of his depth.

Hoodie excepted, the near side assistant was wearing official kit so I suspect he is probably an appointed NAR. Given his attire I at first assumed the far side assistant was a CAR but as he demonstrated at least a bit of discipline and authority I wonder if he was also an appointed NAR just well wrapped up against the weather.
Thought so too at first, now I think he's a CAR

So bored just watched till the end wow....think white 9 got away with loads, my card count would have kept the local FA xmas party going all season! Poor refereeing, either a very bad day at the office or just out of his depth.
Despite attempts at home schooling, I've got four kids crawling the walls and a wife rapidly losing the will to live. YouTube is not really doing it for me

To be honest I feel sorry for the referee here. He has been given a game that is clearly out of his depth. This game is one of those that you need to recognise very early that watching players is as much important, if not more so, than watching play. Managing team officials was also got out of hands. He needed to act early and decisively and he did neither. By the time he was trying to take any serious action, it was too late and too indecisive.
These game are a lot easier to comment on from an armchair. Even the best of us can fold in some of these games.

Is this equivalent to UK Sunday league? The standard of football skill, the off the ball stuff and the respect to the ref and the other players is pretty poor. On this I'm not blaming the ref as any ref would have struggled with what unfolded, yes, he's missed a few bits but I'm sure 99.9999% of our games weren't filmed and pondered by other referees over!! We all can't ever say that this would never happen in one of our games!

Is this equivalent to UK Sunday league? The standard of football skill, the off the ball stuff and the respect to the ref and the other players is pretty poor. On this I'm not blaming the ref as any ref would have struggled with what unfolded, yes, he's missed a few bits but I'm sure 99.9999% of our games weren't filmed and pondered by other referees over!! We all can't ever say that this would never happen in one of our games!
All of the following is what I think if we hypothetically took this match and transported it to Essex:

The NAR/CAR question makes it tricky. If we assume those are NAR's and also point out that we're in a stadium, complete with permanent dugouts and painted technical areas, that would usually make it step 5 or 6 , meaning that in the England you should have an L4 in the middle and 5's on the lines.

Conversely, every step 7 league around me uses NAR's, so if those are actually CAR's then you're looking at high level grassroots at best.

You can't compare levels though. This is the kind of standard we get in the 5th-6th tier (small Nordic country where it gets cold) so this is familiar.

RDO needs a word - the whites must have previous so the ref is obviously out of his depth.
That said ref makes some good decisions.

But the ref loses the match already in the prematch. You can hear someone say something like "are you new?". The teamsheets are a mess and the officials don't know the protocol it seems. (new in town ref?)
Body language in the coin toss :(

They are NARs surely. It's cold. But in a match with NARs you can't wear a hoodie. And wear the jacket under the shirt. Need a hat and gloves, make them black and sporty. It was probably zero or less but they looked poor.
When the cards start the ref doesn't seem to write anything down. Later this seems a real problem.
AR1 stitches the ref up with the 7:30 red card. I thought white faked a ball grab and then dived. AR1 must have advised off camera. (IMHO)
17:30 should have been a red card - that was the worst decision that had the most emotional impact I think.

And then oh dear. Hard situation with speccies, coaches etc. But the start of the mass con was poor. Talking to the assistant when he should have been making sure all the players were calm and apart first.
And then the panic, not able to process the advice of AR2 and oh dear.

But at this level you need to be able handle random assistants to get through difficult games. Conversely give this guy two burley 6'4" experienced assistants and it's a different game.

Referee sec has thrown them all under the bus (like refs, some ref secs are useless).
These officials should have been no where near this game

Reminded me of a bunch of Scumbags called New Parks in Sheffield that I was given in my first season. Nearly quit after that ****show!

Also if EVER there was an advert for using cautions to SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW the game down this was it.
I'd have been taking AGES for every card.

Back