A&H

Australian Referee moving to the UK

bjron

Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but i'll give it a go.
I am a referee from Australia, have been for some 13 years. Also a teacher, and I am looking to move over for two years and wanted to continue refereeing.
Still in the early stages, but I am looking at moving to London.
How would one go about joining a Referees Association?
Do you know if there is any transfer of qualifications, as I have nearly obtained the highest level of qualification in Australia, and have been involved on the National youth league for a few years.

Any info or tips would be much appreciated.

The Referee Store
Hi,
If you contact your county FA when you move to London (and that could be either London, Surrey, Kent, Essex or Middlesex - depending on where you live!!), they will provide you with a contact for your RA and also league referee secretaries. I'm not sure how your Aussie qualifications will map to our qualifications in terms of the level you can referee, but they will advise.

You would require a "Letter of Transference" from the FFA - which would detail from them that you actually are a qualified referee, your length of service, level attained, and other such information which the English FA will then use to place you at an appropriate level here.

Thanks for your replies guys!
I have got on to the FFA and they are in the process of writing a letter.
Should I also get my State body, similar to your County FA, to write a letter detailing what I have done at State League Level?

I will be interested to see where my Level 1 qualifications fit on the English system.

Should I also get my State body, similar to your County FA, to write a letter detailing what I have done at State League Level?

I will be interested to see where my Level 1 qualifications fit on the English system.
I wouldn't get too excited. In a similar case to yours where the referee came from Poland he was placed at level 5 and put in for promotion to Level 4.

A friend spent a year in Oz. He went as English Level 4 and was assisting on National League games, so you may get the same level (4) or 3 depending on whether you meet the necessary fitness criteria and what your National FA says about you.

I wouldn't get too excited. In a similar case to yours where the referee came from Poland he was placed at level 5 and put in for promotion to Level 4.
What matches, or leagues, would a level 4 or 5 referee?
Looking forward to the opportunity to referee some games over there. I expect the style and physicality to be much different to here in Australia.
I will be living in London to start with, hopefully there will be plenty of chance to get a game.

Thanks for all your replies and insights.

Back