A&H

Awarding a goal 30 seconds after it was scored

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
In a game I had yesterday, in the dying seconds of the match, score is 3-2 to away team when home team "score" from corner. As it was on the line and keeper dived on it I was never 100% of it and waved it away. I had a very quick glance at my club assistant (who belongs to away side who are winning) and see no flag, though was never expecting one.
Ball been cleared to half way and I hear screaming/shouting from behind me. The club assistant has walked on to pitch with a home player shouting at him. Assistant trying to get my attention. I blew the whistle and stopped the game. I told player to get away from my assistant and took assistant back to touchline to talk.
Assistant was telling me the ball definitely crossed the line and wanted me to give a goal. He did not think it was right to not tell me the truth so that is why he is telling me. However he also was telling me what was said by the player. As this particular league has a sin bin, and didn't want to go on the word of an assistant without having heard it myself, but saw his actions, I was already thinking of using this to dismiss him especially as it was late in the game. The player, however, returned and called him a ****ing retard and asked him if he was ****ing blind. Instant red now.

I called both captains over and informed them of my decision to award a goal based on assistants comments and both seemed happy about it, obviously home team more so. Question is, was it right? Other than me stopping it when I heard commotion, the game had not stopped or restarted at any point since the ball "crossed the line" and I waved it away. And should I have sent the player off before I decided to anyway before he escalated it more or was I right discussing circumstances with assistant first and giving the player an opportunity to return and throw more abuse.

The Referee Store
First and foremost credit to the assistant who denied his OWN team a win with his honesty. I've let a CAR give me that before, I'd do it again.

You got it right waiting - you can't let an assistant give misconduct, however honest they are. As soon as the player continued abuse within your earshot, they had to go.

Spot on in my opinion, looks like you've managed a difficult situation well - nicely done!

@Ashleigh Goodall

Dealing with the RC first, you are correct you should not be dealing with misconduct solely on the word of the CAR. Happily, the player came across and with his gladly gave a Xmas bonus to the CFA. RC completely correct. Well Done.

For the goal, as the game had not stopped you can change your decision. If you felt that the CAR was honest and correct, you are entitled to follow his advice and awarded the goal. There will be some on this forum for whom the idea of a CAR being honest is oxymoron, but there are a few leagues with excellent CAR's.

Sounds like a well managed ending to the game.

Firstly I'm really really impressed that you've given Lincs the opportunity to use the word oxymoron, there are a few may need to look that one up!
As for your actions, spot on and spot on again, well done!

Firstly I'm really really impressed that you've given Lincs the opportunity to use the word oxymoron, there are a few may need to look that one up!
As for your actions, spot on and spot on again, well done!

As a Member of the Hull Blatherskite Society I can see why that word rang a bell Minty!! :blackeye:

As a Member of the Hull Blatherskite Society I can see why that word rang a bell Minty!! :blackeye:
Ok got me with a new word but not very difficult to work out its meaning:
Society - an organisation or club formed for a particular purpose.............

Ok got me with a new word but not very difficult to work out its meaning:
Society - an organisation or club formed for a particular purpose.............

Blatherskite
  1. a person who talks at great length without making much sense. :(

Must have been something in the air for honest and decent CARs yesterday. :)

The away team CAR in my u15s game yesterday flagged for his own team's keeper handling outside his area when kicking from hand. :cool:

Back