A&H

Bad Light

Rye87Ref

Level 7 Referee
If you fear bad light may cause at problem, which are you better off trying to agree the shortening of?? 1. The amount of time in each half (eg 40 mins each way, assuming competition rules allow)

or

2. Knocking half time down from 15 mins to say 5 mins (Or are players entitled to the 15 mins if they wish to??)

The Referee Store
Both.

You've got some midweek games without floodlights over the next week?

Go for 40, stay out with a 5 min half time.

Both.

You've got some midweek games without floodlights over the next week?

Go for 40, stay out with a 5 min half time.

I have one this Thursday and one the Thursday after, which is even more worrying!

If competition rules allow, go for 35x2 and 5 mins at half time. You might not need to eat a tonne of carrots over the next 10 days ;)

If competition rules allow, go for 35x2 and 5 mins at half time. You might not need to eat a tonne of carrots over the next 10 days ;)
Cheers Brian. I often wonder why leagues bother to put these games in. Do they not know when it gets dark?!?!

Cheers Brian. I often wonder why leagues bother to put these games in. Do they not know when it gets dark?!?!
As a fixture secretary, I can tell you we do it so we don't have titles, promotions and relegations decided at the end of the season playing Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday (Sunday League teams) and Saturday, Monday and Wednesday (Saturday League teams).

As a fixture secretary, I can tell you we do it so we don't have titles, promotions and relegations decided at the end of the season playing Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday (Sunday League teams) and Saturday, Monday and Wednesday (Saturday League teams).
Makes perfect sense when you look at it from that point of view. Suppose having one or two games with a slightly shorter playing time is better than cramming lots of games in at the 'business end'

Makes perfect sense when you look at it from that point of view. Suppose having one or two games with a slightly shorter playing time is better than cramming lots of games in at the 'business end'
And by the time we get to May, people have forgotten all about them.

I had a Ladies Cup match in darkest Nov/Dec a few years ago that they wanted to KO at 2.00pm (no floodlights).

Glad I got that Ko moved forward when the fog started to come down with about 10 mins to play!

Even with the earlier start e/t would have been a problem, that day, but it was very one sided game I seem to remember (Tottenham Ladies Reserves won easily) so didn't have to worry about it!

If an option, I would get KO moved forward if possible in those circumstances - better than trying to negotiate changed length of match/chivvying everyone along at half time IMHO.

I had a cup game on December 6 last year with a 2pm KO. Yes, it was 3-3 at FT. Yes, there was no further scoring in extra time and yes, we had a penalty shootout. Yes, it was dark! Thankfully, kicks from the penalty mark don't require more vision than the penalty area although I admit, that monitoring the teams in the centre circle was impossible - I could barely see them!
You learn by experience and the next time I would a) ask for an earlier KO or b) agree with teams to play just 40 minutes or, c) play just 10 minutes each way for extra time (as provided by the competition rules).

I had a cup game on December 6 last year with a 2pm KO. Yes, it was 3-3 at FT. Yes, there was no further scoring in extra time and yes, we had a penalty shootout. Yes, it was dark! Thankfully, kicks from the penalty mark don't require more vision than the penalty area although I admit, that monitoring the teams in the centre circle was impossible - I could barely see them!
You learn by experience and the next time I would a) ask for an earlier KO or b) agree with teams to play just 40 minutes or, c) play just 10 minutes each way for extra time (as provided by the competition rules).

Normally comp rules don't allow for reducing extra time from 15 minutes.

All cups in York are now straight to penalties, no extra time. Reduces issues with light.

Back