A&H

Ball hitting AR

HullRef

RefChat Addict
What would happen if the ball struck the AR and stays in play when

1.) he is standing outside the FOP but not far enough for the ball to be out when it hits him
2.) when he is standing inside the FOP

Does it make any difference where he is stood?
Someone who has digested the LOTG can you point me to the rule on this one.

The Referee Store
Play on, referee and AR's are like goal posts, if the ball hits the AR who is not far enough off the touchline for the ball to be out of play then you play on. That is how I understand it anyway.

Spot on, I had a situation where the ball was heading toward the corner flag with my AR following it, the ball bounced off the corner flag, the hit my AR. The ball stayed in play but eventually the spin on the ball took it out for a throw in. Both myself and my AR gave each other a look and had a good laugh about it during the half time break.

Yeah, officials are like, as Aled said, goalposts, theyre part of the game and are neutral so its a play on. If on the other hand its a spectator (especiallty at youth/mini soccer level) then its a dropped ball from where the ball was interfered with!

Yeah, officials are like, as Aled said, goalposts, theyre part of the game and are neutral so its a play on. If on the other hand its a spectator (especiallty at youth/mini soccer level) then its a dropped ball from where the ball was interfered with!

A dropped ball on the touchline right in front of the parents?

By rights the parents should be a couple of yards back behind a Respect Line .. and anyway, not sure how else you would re-start in accordance with Law? And if they're not (hence the spectator on the pitch) then the dropped ball would provide a good excuse to get them back a sensible distance :)

Yeah, in one of the leagues I ref in the pitches are only 2 or 3 yards apart so parents are stood right on the touchline so it can happen during games especially at busy times. I first had one of these and gave a dropped ball where the ball was interfered with and later checked with a Football League assistant referee that I know from the County FA and they said it was the way to restart it.

Back