A&H

Ball hitting referee Italy v Turkey

Goldfish

In the Euro 2020 game between Italy and Turkey a pass by an Italian player struck the referee just outside the penalty area and it went to an Italian player. Referee signaled for play to continue? As a promising attack continued was it okay to allow play to continue?

The Referee Store
It was ok because an Italian player played it initially and then it fell to another Italian player. If it had hit the referee and then fallen to a Turkish player, then it would be a drop ball to Italy.

Could we not have put this in the thread that already existed for this match.

If a promising attack started then a dropped ball should have been awarded. Haven't seen the play so difficult to give an opinion.

My 11 year old had a debate with me as to whether play should've been stopped (yes, despite his tender years, he's also a bit sad)
We get sick of 'safe refereeing' so fair play for not stopping the game. Would've been a good laugh if a goal had followed however 🤕

It went out to the left wing so didn't make the attack any more promising than it already was in my opinion.
This. Even though it is not what the law says. The laws says " a team starts a promising attack", but the intent is a team should not benefit or get an advantage from the ball touching the referee (compared to if it hadn't) . I haven't seen the incident but it doesn't sound like they did.

On spirit of the law angle an attacking drop ball outside the area is potentially a dangerous restart and maybe more beneficial than an attack being maintained.

Not seen a drop ball actually utilised in attacking sense yet as most referees seem to make sure teams play it backwards.

On spirit of the law angle an attacking drop ball outside the area is potentially a dangerous restart and maybe more beneficial than an attack being maintained.

Not seen a drop ball actually utilised in attacking sense yet as most referees seem to make sure teams play it backwards.
Referees have no authority to do that. Curious if refs are actually doing that or if teams are just naturally doing that.

Back