A&H

Baseline Fitness Tests

Reffing4Life

Level 7 Referee
Hi Everyone!

Any ideas for tracking my fitness levels as a referee please?

For example, a 10km run in a certain amount of time or a 100m sprint in a certain amount of time or something else entirely?

Just looking for something against which I can test and track my fitness levels as a referee!

Thanks very much!

The Referee Store
Hi Everyone!

Any ideas for tracking my fitness levels as a referee please?

For example, a 10km run in a certain amount of time or a 100m sprint in a certain amount of time or something else entirely?

Just looking for something against which I can test and track my fitness levels as a referee!

Thanks very much!
Level 4 refs are tested on Cooper test.

12 mins continuous running covering min distance 2600m

There are also the fifa fitness tests. Dutch Referee Blog has the audio files on his site... Don't think they are on here.
That's 75m run, 25m walk x 10 400m laps, so 40 intervals.
Can't remember timings but I've had a go and it's tough.
L3s do a version of this, again not sure on timings.
Tbf fifa. One might be different. L3s defo do this though

There are also the fifa fitness tests. Dutch Referee Blog has the audio files on his site... Don't think they are on here.
Thanks a lot, James! Is the best way to do them with a proper track or could i do it anywhere?

We done a mock fitness up here to prepare the boys due to do the real thing. 75m run 25m walk timings here were 15 x 15. Not sure if that is fifa timings or not

We done a mock fitness up here to prepare the boys due to do the real thing. 75m run 25m walk timings here were 15 x 15. Not sure if that is fifa timings or not

That's higher than category 1 (International refs)

They do 15s run, 18 second walk

Source:

That's higher than category 1 (International refs)

They do 15s run, 18 second walk

Source:
I should have added this was intentional. It was supposed to be higher. The actual test was 15 and 20 I believe. Not yet at the level I need to take it

I should have added this was intentional. It was supposed to be higher. The actual test was 15 and 20 I believe. Not yet at the level I need to take it
Good to do more when training. I think the test files add an extra 10 intervals on so basically 12 and a quarter laps.

The ARIET (also found on Dutch Referee), is great - it's a beep test that gets faster and faster and combines straight running with crabbing. The Cooper test is super straightforward to try.

My favourite, and not because I am good at it, because I am not and it is torture, is the classic yo-yo- https://www.dutchreferee.com/dynamic-yo-yo-test-for-football-refeerees/ - the 20m. You are young so that 18-1 is a great target. For us that are older 16 something is great going. You can get a soundfile on wirless earbuds, set up a couple of cones and try it.

I now referee in both Denmark and England (don't ask!).

Danish fitness test .. minimum 17.4 in the standard yo yo, aiming for 17.7 but will be tricky

English L3 fitness test .. 4K FIFA as above. 15 secs for the 40 lots of 75m, 22 secs for the 25m walks. Should be fine (famous last words!)

Glutton for punishment ......

Danish fitness test .. minimum 17.4 in the standard yo yo, aiming for 17.7 but will be tricky

English L3 fitness test .. 4K FIFA as above. 15 secs for the 40 lots of 75m, 22 secs for the 25m walks. Should be fine (famous last words!)

What level is the 17.4 for?
Here in <country that beat Denmark 1-0 but let's not talk about that> I think it's 17,1 to ref the third tier, 16,1 for the 4th tier.

17.4 is to referee in the fourth tier of Danish men's football. In England, I'd equate that standard to the 8th tier of men's football (Contrib Prem) but comparisons are difficult as skill levels are relatively high in Denmark but match intensity is lower (as is dissent!)

17.4 is to referee in the fourth tier of Danish men's football. In England, I'd equate that standard to the 8th tier of men's football (Contrib Prem) but comparisons are difficult as skill levels are relatively high in Denmark but match intensity is lower (as is dissent!)
Sounds good! I flag the 4th tier here and it's probably, but only a wild guess, something like 10-12th tier equiv, and similarly, technically neat, different feel as a lot on fake grass, far less blood and thunder. We get some quality officials in the 4th tier, which is nice for me. On Sat on the opposite line was our newest lady on the FIFA list, and the guy in the middle has just finished his career in the top flight with over a hundred games. And they pay me to work with these people - amazing! I digress, but it's great to have comms working with experienced quality referees as you hear how they handle players.

You could do it anywhere, but a track would simulate the actual test day experience and be accurate.

The ARIET (also found on Dutch Referee), is great - it's a beep test that gets faster and faster and combines straight running with crabbing. The Cooper test is super straightforward to try.

My favourite, and not because I am good at it, because I am not and it is torture, is the classic yo-yo- https://www.dutchreferee.com/dynamic-yo-yo-test-for-football-refeerees/ - the 20m. You are young so that 18-1 is a great target. For us that are older 16 something is great going. You can get a soundfile on wirless earbuds, set up a couple of cones and try it.

I did a quick test run to see where I’m at in regards to the cooper run as that seems to be most straightforward.

I know it’s 12 mins continuous running and you need to get 2600m or more like James L said. But i just ran 3000m to see how far I am off doing 3k in 12 minutes.

I did 3000m in 13:43 - just wondering if that’s any good and how I compare?

Thanks a lot for your responses!

For a first effort that's not bad.

I did a mock fitness test last night and did 2.7k in the 12 mins, I'd have expected to hit 3k just over 13 mins at an average pace of 4:26pkm. We did really tail off on the last lap as we were 20-25 secs ahead of the time so I think with a touch more effort id have been able to get a little closer to 3k.

I assume you weren't on a track either? Even a "flat" run outdoors is not as ideal as a track scenario.
My running has Improved a lot over lockdown but before that I could never do the 2.6 in 12 outside of the track environment.

For a first effort that's not bad.

I did a mock fitness test last night and did 2.7k in the 12 mins, I'd have expected to hit 3k just over 13 mins at an average pace of 4:26pkm. We did really tail off on the last lap as we were 20-25 secs ahead of the time so I think with a touch more effort id have been able to get a little closer to 3k.

I assume you weren't on a track either? Even a "flat" run outdoors is not as ideal as a track scenario.
My running has Improved a lot over lockdown but before that I could never do the 2.6 in 12 outside of the track environment.
I wasn’t on a track no - I was just running around where I live and i just went round the same route as many times as was needed until I reached 3k. It is largely uphill so it’s possible i could cut a lot of time off if i did it on a track. I basically ran in a rectangle but because of where I am, my route was sort of like 2/3 uphill and 1/3 downhill. I’d love to do it on a track though!

I wasn’t on a track no - I was just running around where I live and i just went round the same route as many times as was needed until I reached 3k. It is largely uphill so it’s possible i could cut a lot of time off if i did it on a track. I basically ran in a rectangle but because of where I am, my route was sort of like 2/3 uphill and 1/3 downhill. I’d love to do it on a track though!
Yeh, you will have lost a lot of time going up hill so good effort.

In addition to the standard soccer-referee related tests, I have worked with the team at The Deadlift Effect (www.thedeadlifteffect.com) on a couple of programs. US referee Christina Unkel (former FIFA referee, currently a rules analyst for CBS Sports) is a partner in this program/gym. There is a fitness test that includes repeats, some HIIT strength-based sessions, etc. for a five-day test. The test is free, but you do need to submit your email address. Full disclosure - I have no affiliate relationship and am providing for informational purposes only.

Back