A&H

Beckham PSG red card

The Referee Store
Comes under the same sort of scope as the two-footed challenge. If there's contact, red card all day. If not, it gets a bit murky. Technically still a tackle which "endangers the safety of an opponent", so a red card according to LOTG...having said that I tend to caution for non-contact two-footed challenges, so I'm undecided on the Beckham tackle!

He has clearly stamped down at the opponent. It doesn't matter whether he made contact or not. I cannot think of any move in football that requires you to stamp down on the ball to control it.

James, mate, it's not murky at all. "Strikes or attempts to strike an opponent." To me, it was clear that he attempted to stomp on his opponent and it is, therefore, a red card.

Ah ok, I always thought that "strikes" refers to hitting someone with your hands. But having watched it back, Mick is right. There's no way he intended to do anything but stamp on him, red card

... the only possible "get-out" could be that he was very keen to get his body across in front of the opponent to shield the ball (legally) from the player - albeit in a very dangerous way !! ... ... just trying to think why the website says the referee gets it wrong ... ... it simply has to be a red.

... the only possible "get-out" could be that he was very keen to get his body across in front of the opponent to shield the ball (legally) from the player - albeit in a very dangerous way !! ... ... just trying to think why the website says the referee gets it wrong ... ... it simply has to be a red.

That's in no way a get-out. Even if he was VERY keen to do it, he did it with excessive force and endangered the safety of his opponent so he walks.

Clear stamping action with the sole of his foot endangering safety, in my opinion clearly knew what he was doing, SFP all day long. Reaction is for the cameras and the media, just like 90% of all of his actions. But that is my slightly biased opinion. Always been cynical about Beckham.

Edited: Despite it being a clear stamp I'd put it as SFP due to it being a challenge for the ball.

Back