A&H

Open Age Been assaulted

But that's the thing - 'sine die' doesn't mean permanently. It just means that as yet, no specific date has been set for the end of the ban. Another way of putting it, is that that the person is suspended 'until further notice.' As @RobOda's post mentions, a sine die ban may potentially be reviewed after a minimum of 5 years but it still means there is no fixed date on which it comes to an end.
I was replying to the word permanent, as I understand what Sine die means and thats not the same thing!

The Referee Store
All

Please be circumspect and read your replies before posting. That the police are involved in this as a criminal matter we don't want to cause any further difficulty for @Phonesurgeon or for ourselves as an online community.

Sine Die is just a phrase they use to cover up what will probably end up being a pathetic ban, the assaulted referee probably won't even know the player is back playing until he sees him on a pitch or when he's assaulted someone else.

The FA of Ireland had a right with the 40-year ban.

A sine die suspension will usually come from non-payment of a fine, or due to debts owed to a club, and can be lifted as soon as the debt has been settled. Any suspensions for debts owed are lifted after 7 years.

It used to be that for the most serious cases (e.g. assault on a match official) the punishment given would be a sine die suspension with no review for 5/7/10 years, however this has changed and for those cases it would now be a straightforward 5/7/10 years suspension, meaning that there would be a definite end date.

however this has changed and for those cases it would now be a straightforward 5/7/10 years suspension, meaning that there would be a definite end date.

Well... Not in Wales it hasn't. The quote I gave is for assault resulting in serious bodily harm.

Back