A&H

Behind play incident

one

RefChat Addict
Had this in a cup tie (finals series) about a month ago.

Green player as a shot off target for a goal kick. As I am walking back the far AR flags to talk to me. I hold the goal kick and talk to him He says about 30 seconds earlier, when blue had possession, green defender deliberately tripped a blue player unprovoked behind play and behind my back. I asked for a recommendation and he said a caution.

For context, U18 intense game 1-1 early second half, no gamesmanship till this point and one clumsy reckless challenge caution in the first half. Obviously couldn't ignore the incident, and if I decided to send off, it would have most likely made it very difficult to control the green team and bench for the rest of the game. I went with the recommended caution which everyone accepted however I am interested in how you think the game should have restarted. What if the shot was on target and a goal was scored before my AR had flagged me?

The Referee Store
Had this in a cup tie (finals series) about a month ago.

Green player as a shot off target for a goal kick. As I am walking back the far AR flags to talk to me. I hold the goal kick and talk to him He says about 30 seconds earlier, when blue had possession, green defender deliberately tripped a blue player unprovoked behind play and behind my back. I asked for a recommendation and he said a caution.

For context, U18 intense game 1-1 early second half, no gamesmanship till this point and one clumsy reckless challenge caution in the first half. Obviously couldn't ignore the incident, and if I decided to send off, it would have most likely made it very difficult to control the green team and bench for the rest of the game. I went with the recommended caution which everyone accepted however I am interested in how you think the game should have restarted. What if the shot was on target and a goal was scored before my AR had flagged me?
Was the AR flagging at the time of the trip? Or did they wait 30 seconds for the ball out of play to flag for attention?

Last edited:
Surely if you caution you have to go back and give a DFK to blue for the trip.

Depending on what the AR explained (and IMHO the AR should have flagged it at the time, and you might be in a difficult position thanks to the very late flag, that was just a flag for attention (?) rather than a flag for an offence) it might have been much better to give a vague verbal warning to the green player. That would have helped defend your AR.

With a vague warning that doesn't highlight the AR saw an actual offence, then you get the GK, the AR hasn't "made a mistake" and your assessor might be happier...

He waited for the ball to go out for flagging. His explanation was at the time blue was in an good position for a promising attack (which was the case and probably should have said this in the OP). I was happy with the timing as he (not me) decided to played advantage.

With a vague warning that doesn't highlight the AR saw an actual offence, then you get the GK, the AR hasn't "made a mistake" and your assessor might be happier...
Had I seen it, as the way it was explained to me, it would have definitely been at least a caution. I certainly didn't want the green player to get away with it.

The AR was a decent and trustworthy AR. Not the type to throw me under the bus.

So sounds like advantage played, go back for the caution, restart with the GK.

As far as reading caution vs send off, I suspect you got it right. Between the match control aspect of going back for a totally unexpected send off and the fact that the incident (perhaps surprisingly) did not create instant retaliation, seems like it was probably the best path for that game.

Caution sounds right for me, and I think the assistant did the right thing in waiting for the ball to go dead before getting your attention.

Back