A&H

Being an actively playing referee!

MarcoPolo147

I'm looking at doing a course over the summer to become a referee and am wondering if anyone out there has successfully managed to continue playing regularly alongside refereeing? I am thinking of continuing playing on a Saturday and then refereeing on a Sunday.

The Referee Store
I'm looking at doing a course over the summer to become a referee and am wondering if anyone out there has successfully managed to continue playing regularly alongside refereeing? I am thinking of continuing playing on a Saturday and then refereeing on a Sunday.
Levels 7-5 there is no issue. Largely you are in control of when you referee.
If you go for promotion and get to level 4 I would say that's the time where you will have to consider packing in playing, on a Saturday at least, but it would be frowned upon at the FA if you had to close dates or gives game back because you got injured playing

Levels 7-5 there is no issue. Largely you are in control of when you referee.
If you go for promotion and get to level 4 I would say that's the time where you will have to consider packing in playing, on a Saturday at least, but it would be frowned upon at the FA if you had to close dates or gives game back because you got injured playing

That makes sense. Would I be right in assuming I would be at a slight disadvantage if I were to try and get promotion due to the number of games I would be limiting myself to each year initially? Or do they base promotions on quality rather than quantity?

That makes sense. Would I be right in assuming I would be at a slight disadvantage if I were to try and get promotion due to the number of games I would be limiting myself to each year initially? Or do they base promotions on quality rather than quantity?
The simple answer is yes. You need to ref 20 games in a promotion season.
It's not impossible but you'll need a lot of things on your side, mainly the weather through the winter.

The simple answer is yes. You need to ref 20 games in a promotion season.
It's not impossible but you'll need a lot of things on your side, mainly the weather through the winter.

I thought that might be the case. I live on near the border of two counties so I's like to think I could get enough games in, l with youth games as well. If not, something will have to give I guess...

You can, but be aware in some counties if you get sent off as a player you cannot referee during your suspension. So, try and behave on the pitch! ;)

I thought that might be the case. I live on near the border of two counties so I's like to think I could get enough games in, l with youth games as well. If not, something will have to give I guess...
I think it varies through county but some don't count junior games or some only allow a small percentage.
1 common thing is it is majority of open age games. So playing 1 on a sat and then reffing 1 or more on a Sun

The only issues I've ever had are when I've been assigned county cup games but you just say you still play and in my case they are fine with that.

Back