A&H

Best Assistant Referee Signalling Ever ....

The Referee Store
Definitely wasn't his first game or first TV game, he's been around for years, at least back to 2008 on the FL and has done loads of TV games.

I suspect it was the change of penalty signal. He initially puts the flag across his chest, realises he can't do that anymore, then panics and manages to signal corner, goal kick and substitution instead of a penalty. Good job they had the comms system otherwise the referee wouldn't have a hope in hell of knowing what he had given ... :)

Matty Buonassissi is his name. Andy D'Urso was the referee.
Matty & D'Urso were having a full on argument over the comms. Matty went to give a free-kick, D'Urso told him to mind his own business, with some expletives, (there was some prior history with them too) so Matty responded with "well, wtf do you want then?! Free-kick, offside, corner, goal-kick or a f***ing sub?!?!" and, as you can see, he demonstrated them all simultaneously!

You didn't hear that from me.

EDIT - having just rewatched the video, doesn't look like D'Urso is the man in the middle (looks like East actually) but the above is the story I heard in the days after the incident, from numerous people.

Matty Buonassissi is his name. Andy D'Urso was the referee.
Matty & D'Urso were having a full on argument over the comms. Matty went to give a free-kick, D'Urso told him to mind his own business, with some expletives, (there was some prior history with them too) so Matty responded with "well, wtf do you want then?! Free-kick, offside, corner, goal-kick or a f***ing sub?!?!" and, as you can see, he demonstrated them all simultaneously!

You didn't hear that from me.

EDIT - having just rewatched the video, doesn't look like D'Urso is the man in the middle (looks like East actually) but the above is the story I heard in the days after the incident, from numerous people.

Ref was Kevin Johnson. And a penalty was the end result of the above mess.

responded with "well, wtf do you want then?! Free-kick, offside, corner, goal-kick or a f***ing sub?!?!" and, as you can see, he demonstrated them all simultaneously!
Actually, having seen this incident referenced on various websites and with various attempts at explaining what the AR was trying to do here, that's about the only explanation I've heard that actually comes close to making some sense.

Back